Scientific poster with maps and charts tracking the relationship of tree density and median household income by NYC community district.

Median Household Income vs Tree Density in NYC

This project seeks to find a correlation between tree density and median household income in NYC. The results might surprise you.

This project was created by Julie Margolin, Annie Bratslavsky, Jake Bivas, Iraj Zia, and Malik Monteith for the cross-campus seminar at Macaulay Honors College. It aims to use publicly available data to determine whether or not there is a correlation between tree density and median household income in NYC’s community districts. If found, the correlation could point to a larger issue of lack of investment in poor communities, especially by the Department of Parks and Recreation. This research also opens the door to interesting future research topics, as described in detail on the poster.

Here is a downloadable PDF of the poster.

4 thoughts on “Median Household Income vs Tree Density in NYC

1. Great project guys! It was interesting to learn about the correlation between tree density and median household income in NYC. We notice trees outside where we live but we never compare the tree count to how much land there is. Also, the depictions were super detailed and eye-appealing!

2. I think this is one of the most aesthetically pleasing posters I have seen so far! The hand-drawn maps are so impressive and they display the data you collected really well too! I think the project was really well done, it was very thorough and the problem you guys chose to address was really interesting!

3. This project stood out to me right away – first because the poster design looked so nice, but also after reading and studying the poster, I found the topic intriguing, and it’s not a correlation I would have ever thought of myself. I also found the maps and graphs to be extremely well done and I remember the maps were drawn, and I think those were done with extreme skill so I just want to say hats off to a very great project.

4. What I liked about this poster so much is that you guys came up with a hypothesis that didn’t necessarily work out. Sometimes in science hypothesis proposed get shot down by research which isn’t a bad thing. In fact, a negative hypothesis can inform us of what kind of research do in the future and tells us to look other paths of research. I thought it was a strange and bizarre thing to look for the connection between trees and murder rates but it seems apt as a standby for socio-economic standings.