Many Hands

A primitive piece, that exists less for conveying an artistic message, but rather is a testament to the human desire for legacy, and to leave a mark on history.

Andi Kolari

For my project, I was tasked with creating a piece of street art one might find, well, on the street. Obviously, we weren’t supposed to go out and spray paint a local property, and I drew this. I see this piece as exemplifying the need for human legacy. I imagine that if this work were out in the wild, it would start as simply one person putting up their hand print: leaving their mark. Then another, and another and another, and so on and so forth. The need to establish a legacy is a primitive desire so many people have, and the handprint has become something of a symbol of that. You have the iconic cliche of a hand print cave painting from some person who existed thousands of years ago. We don’t know why it is there, or who put it there. All we have now is the legacy of the work. This piece is essentially a modern twist on those primitive cave paintings, with people leaving something, anything behind for people to see.