My Pandemic Playlist

It’s true what people say about music soothing the soul. 2020 has been a wild year of changes and events, but one great way to escape reality for even just a second is by listening to music. For this project, I included 10 songs that I find describe the circumstances of the pandemic and events that occurred. Enjoy!

Josie Wong

1. “Stuck With U” by Ariana Grande with Justin Bieber
“Stuck With U” was released during quarantine, and I think it’s such an adorable love song about spending time with your partner/significant other during this pandemic. I listened to it on repeat when it was first released, and although I don’t vibe with Justin Bieber, this song is too good to hate.

2. “Freedom” by Beyonce feat. Kendrick Lamar
“Freedom” is a song that critiques the racist and biased society in America toward African Americans. African Americans and the black community have faced so many challenges in history and currently because of the color of their skin. This song is about overcoming oppression and working to fight for the freedom the black community deserves.

3. “Drive Safe” by Rich Brian
“Drive Safe” is a song that talks about how life isn’t the same anymore as the past, and how the future is very cloudy. I feel like this describes our current circumstances very well. A lot of people wish life could go back to normal, and because of the pandemic, we do not know if life will ever go back to normal nor do we know how our futures will look like.

4. “Rude” by MAGIC!
Although the song is about a father who refuses to offer his blessing to the man his daughter loves, the song title relates to 2020. This year is considered by many to be the worst year ever, and it’s “rude” of 2020 to throw so many curveballs and changes throughout the year.

5. “Physical” by Dua Lipa
Over quarantine, many people have decided to improve their health and fitness habits. “Physical” by Dua Lipa is the perfect energy pumping song for working out.

6. “Graduation” by Benny Blanco with Juice Wrld
For 2020, it was a disappointing year for the graduating class of 2020. For college freshmen, many of us didn’t have prom, a senior trip, or other senior activities. Despite that, we did our best to make the most out of our last year of high school, and to celebrate, the song, “Graduation,” was played repeatedly.

7. “Rain on Me” by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande
“Rain on Me” is about overcoming struggles. This year, people across the globe encountered and continue to encounter problems about money, family, their businesses, etc, and we’ve needed a lot of resilience, support, and determination to overcome them.

8. “Brown Skin Girl” by Beyonce, Blue Ivy, SAINt JHN, and WizKid
To all black and brown people of color, if you believe your skin color is not beautiful, please listen to this song.

9. “This is America” by Childish Gambino
“This is America” was released in 2018, and its message is still prevalent. The song discusses the treatment of and racism toward the black community. Throughout the song, gunshots can be heard signifying how black people are dying everyday because of violence and police brutality, yet our government manages to do little concerning these social problems. Through “This is America,” Childish Gambino is revealing the reality of the “land of the free” and “the home of the brave.”

10. “Don’t Stand So Close To Me” by The Police
“Don’t Stand So Close To Me” is a song that my dad and I always bop to, and its title is very current. People still do not understand the concept of social distancing, so the next time someone is standing a little too close to me, I know what song I’m playing!!