Sara’s Pandemic Playlist

A collection of songs that represent 2020 to me and the reasons why. From songs that everybody laughed at to songs that brought me comfort in the midst of everything.

Sara Turku

1. Supalonely by BENEE ft. Gus Dapperton : Click here for the link
In all honesty, I’ve never heard the full version of this song but I can’t think about quarantine without this song. When quarantine was just starting this song went viral on tiktok and for two months I’d always see someone on tiktok dancing to the chorus of this song. Now that I look back, I think it not only went viral because the chorus is catchy but because of what the song is about: loneliness. When quarantine first started people were learning to adjust to being alone. Tiktok had instantly become an outlet for people during quarantine so when this catchy song about loneliness came out attached with a fun dance, how could anyone resist?

2. Imagine by John Lennon (Cover by Celebrities): Click here for the link
When I think about the beginning of quarantine I also immediately think of this song. All of those celebrities came together to sing this beautiful song hoping it would bring a little brightness to the world, and it did- just not in the way it was intended. It became an instant meme which resulted in laughter felt around the world. The purpose of the video was to try and rally people through song but while it got the opposite reaction, it fulfilled its purpose. It brought people together through laughter and I think we can all agree that we needed to laugh it out when everything first shut down.

3. Nonstop from Hamilton: Click here for the link
Hamilton being released on Disney Plus was by far one of the most exciting parts of quarantine. I have been a fan for a long time and always thought the chances of me seeing Hamilton were slim, but this was my chance. Usually during the spring, my pastimes always included going to the movies or to watch a broadway show. It was nice to experience a little of both from the safety of my home. Watching this on Disney Plus reignited my interest in the show and this is just happens to be one of my favorite songs from the show.

4. Feel Like Myself by Jonny West: Click here for the link
Quarantine quickly turned me into an avid reality competition show watcher, something I hadn’t done in years. Particularly, I spent a lot of my time watching American Idol. It had its cheesy moments but through watching the show, I got introduced to some great new artists, one of them being Jonny West. His song “Feel Like Myself” is one of my favorites and I really like the style of it as well as the story behind it. It’s about discovering who you are after a relationship but I connected it to the way people began to self-reflect a lot in quarantine.

5. This is America by Childish Gambino: Click here for the link
During quarantine, America as a whole became focused on the social injustice going on in this country. I chose this song because it is a commentary on that injustice. This song was released two years ago but its message about race in America and police brutality has remained prevalent throughout the years. Many are just now opening their eyes to the injustice in this country and how large a role race plays in society. This is only the beginning of a movement that will hopefully result in much needed changes.

6. Ready or Not by Bridgit Mendler: Click here for the link
This is a very old song from my childhood but during quarantine I found myself listening to a lot of old songs. With everything going on in the world I wanted some familiarity and comfort, which included listening to songs from almost a decade ago. I’ve seen a lot of people going back to old interests as a way of coping because it reminds us of a time where life wasn’t so stressful. This song in particular is very upbeat and is a great mood booster.

7. Almost (Sweet Music) by Hozier: Click here for the link
I discovered this song randomly one day and I ended up really liking it. It’s about the connection between music and memories, which is a really interesting topic especially now when a lot of people have been relying on music as a form of escapism. This song was overall just very nice to listen to and was very calming.

8. Sign of the Times by Harry Styles: Click here for the link
This is one of my favorite songs from Harry’s first album and I listened to it a lot during quarantine. The song overall is bittersweet but at the same time very comforting. It is supposed to be from the viewpoint of a mother who is dying after childbirth. This song expresses her using the time she has left to comfort her baby and tell them that they will be okay without her. The message that it sent about getting through hardship and that you will be okay despite the obstacles you face, are very important and really resonated with me considering the state of the world.

9. Golden by Harry Styles: Click here for the link
This song to me, evokes an image of walking outside in the summertime with the sun shining as bright as can be and being surrounded by friends listening to music and dancing. I did not get to experience that this summer so hearing this song reminds me of times like that and lifts my mood. I think everyone can agree that it hasn’t been that easy to find moments of peace this year but listening to this song can make me forget about my worries for a couple minutes.

10. POV by Ariana Grande: Click here for the link
This song is a more recent one but I have been playing it on repeat. I not only think it’s very catchy and nice to listen to but I love the message behind the song. Ariana talks about being in love with someone who unconditionally loves her and accepts her through the good and the bad even when she doesn’t herself. Being with this person has helped Ariana learn to love herself which is something we all need to do.