Review of Week 1 in London

As I am getting ready to go out on Saturday night, I realized (my computer just tried to correct my spelling) that I have almost been here for a week and more importantly people are actually starting to move in. Over the past week, I have tried as much as possible to explore my local neighborhood (it wanted to change that too) and as much of London as a whole.

On Thursday, I decided to take advantage of something called Sandemans New Europe Tours. The tours can be found all over Europe and Israel for some reason and are basically free except for the expected tip to the tour guide at the end. I took the tour in both Jerusalem and Amsterdam and found it quite enjoyable. However, on this particular day, the tour guide decided that it was too rainy to lead the tour  (ie- there weren’t enough people there for the tour and he would not be making enough money in tips from the tour.) Instead, I along with tour other fellow travellers decided to do the tour on our own. It was fun to be a tourist and see all of the sights London is known for. I felt especially proud while in Westminster Abbey because I was able to identify ninety percent of the people memorialized in the Poet’s Corner. The only other people I was able to identify were ElizabethI and Mary. I seemed to have missed out on the British Monarchy lesson in High School. I have included a few pictures of Big Ben and Trafalgar Square (big tourist sights).

For the rest of the week I decided to return to my quest of acclimating myself to London. I have officially found that both Soho and Oxford Street are quite close to my dorm. It is good to know that no matter where you live, you can still shop in H&M and Urban Outfitters and feel like you are on 59th and Lex.

Now that I have spent a week in London, the other people in my dorm are finally moving in. I have finally met other people and my dorm actually feels inhabited.

Tomorrow I will begin my year as an LSE Student with orientation…

About Steph Fox

My name is Stephanie Fox and I am in the process of embarking on a study abroad experience in London for my Junior year at the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College. I will be in London from September 15th through the end of June studying Economics and Political Science (my major) at the London School of Economics. I hope to use this blog to document my experiences while away.