Paris to the Moon

Gopnik, Adam. Paris to the Moon. New York: Random House, 2000.

In this memoir, Adam Gopnik, a writer for the New Yorker, discusses his life as an expatriate in Paris. However, more than focusing on his personal life, he takes major events in his life or in Paris to help shed light on the cultural differences between the French (and oftentimes, more specifically, Parisians) and New Yorkers. He mentions differences in traditions, politics, dining, fine cuisine, etc.

Although this memoir is not about a French transplant in New York City, it does help illuminate the wonders and setbacks of living in a foreign country. It is also interesting to read about a self-proclaimed Francophile’s view of France. After all, part of my research concerns New Yorkers who are fascinated with the idea of France and Paris, whether it is actually realistic or not. Also, this memoir does a good job of using small narratives to paint a larger picture about what it is like to live abroad. A story that I particularly enjoyed was discussing the protest he took part in at the restaurant Bathalzar. The protest demonstrated how he got involved in the community in a very “French” way, attempting to keep the traditions of the restaurant. It was both entertaining to read as a story and informative to understanding cultural values. I will seek stories like this from my interviewees, their experience in events that were distinctly “New York” and that impacted their lives.

A detail that I appreciated was Gopnik’s attention to place names and recreating the image of Paris through words. Because my project will include a sort of interactive map and because the connection between place and identity are essential to my research, being specific with street names and store names will help to create a sense of intimacy. It will also help to literally guide the reader through the city.