Coco Fusco

Rubén Natal-San Miguel’s collection of photos from Puerto Rico

8 Seconds

-It was so beautiful and colorful, and told a story that stood out to me. It caught my eye immediately, because of the clean looking subject matter, the vivid colors, and I wanted to know more about the photo.  I found myself fascinated by the photos purely by its aesthetic value, but compelled by the underlying meaning of the photos. It didn’t seem as interesting as the other artwork that was done in unique forms and mediums, with stronger messages, but it caught my attention.  The photos seemed to be journalistic, and artistic at the same time.

10 Minutes

-After learning that the photos were of Puerto Rico, my thoughts immediately went to the gorgeous vacation photos people posted on social media. I never visited there personally, so my knowledge of Puerto Rico was limited to whatever I saw on social media, on maps, etc. The pictures weren’t of the sandy beaches or luxurious resorts, it was of abandoned buildings, protests, and run down businesses owned and operated by locals; the things that aren’t brazenly presented to eager vacationers

The abandoned buildings and letters written reflect the tumultuous political and economic climate in Puerto Rico that isn’t necessarily advertised, and consequently, seen by the majority of the population. The beauty of the photos themselves contradict the subject matter, depicting something associated more with negativity, like the “outrage” of the citizens.

This unrest is known mainly to the people of Puerto Rico, who, according to Miguel, have all fled to the greater United States, and the empty buildings wouldn’t otherwise be seen, and neither would the protests.  The only way this “unkown” side of Puerto Rico is seen are through these beautiful, seemingly subtle photos (compared to the other photos in the exhibit). At first glance, the collection of photos is colorful and eye-catching, but has a deeper meaning underneath its surface, much like the “unconscious” effort Fusco was referring to.