The Met Opera

I’m not an avid theater-goer, but I have gone to my fair share of shows and musicals, along with assisting in all of the productions that took place throughout my four years of high school. But I have never been to an opera. In my mind I imagined some woman singing really loudly in Italian, and maybe she would have a fellow actor on stage, but that was not at all what happened.

In addition to the woman singing loudly (to perhaps a bunch of old people) in Italian, I had always imagined people with gold binoculars with the little sticks on the end and speaking in a really posh voice. I was not entirely let down. As I was looking around, I noticed a man in the row in front of mine already using the binoculars he had brought for the show!

I took this picture because I liked the aspect of candidness that were in almost all of Singh’s photographs. I don’t know if the subjects knew they were being taken pictures of and then they continued with their lives, or if Singh simply took the pictures, but most of them seemed to show the subjects of his pictures doing things as they were, much like how this man was simply getting ready for the show.

This is a picture describes what I actually saw at the opera. There were so many things that I did not know were actually a part of the opera. For example, there was an orchestra, many more actors than I had anticipated, and an actual a storyline behind the entire show. It was certainly not what I was expecting, considering the fact that there were sheep and a “bear”, but I found that I actually enjoyed some aspects of the opera. The plot seemed to be interesting, and the orchestra was phenomenal. However, I did not like how every single word was sung, because it made things hard to understand, and switching between the subtitles (although they were much appreciated) and actually watching the show made the show confusing and difficult to keep track of who was actually singing. In general, I enjoyed my time there, but I do not think that I would watch another opera again.