Teju Cole blog post

In Teju Cole’s essay, he talks about the previous prejudice that a lot of the world holds toward India (“Hindu festivals, men in turbans, women in saris”) and the difference between how photographers look at it differently through their lenses. The way many photographers look at India is solely through the lens of tradition, while the real India is a blend of the traditional with the modern. The Met Opera is also a mix of old and new. The institution has been around for well over a century, but in that time it has changed dramatically, not just in location but in atmosphere as well. It used to have a very exclusive feeling, and it may still seem that way from the outside. While the building is still luxurious (especially with the velvet wallpaper), anyone can now go, wearing pretty much whatever they want, and not necessarily feel uncomfortable. There’s also a ton of free events, making it more accessible than ever. Going to the Met Opera may still seem like a fancy night out, but it doesn’t feel exclusive to one group of people anymore. For my photos, I took one picture of the signature opulent chandelier and one of the people waiting in line for the women’s room during intermission. While some people were dressed to impress, others were just wearing jeans and a sweater, and no one was wearing anything like a gown or a tuxedo. I see this as a step in the right direction. I enjoy getting gussied up just like a lot of people, but not liking it, not to mention money issues, shouldn’t automatically exclude you from an experience you’d otherwise enjoy.
As far as the opera that we saw goes, I really liked it. I’ve always been a fan of Luis Buñuel and I thought that it was a thorough and entertaining adaptation of his work.
I’ve always been a firm believer that art is for everyone that wants it, and something as trivial as how you dress or what socioeconomic class you’d consider yourself to be from shouldn’t prevent you from having important experiences.