Teju Cole and Raghubir Singh

Unfortunately, I was not able to make it to The Exterminating Angel, but I was able to see the exhibit Modernism on the Ganges by Raghubir Singh and I do see the points that Teju Cole made in his essay. When looking at some of McCurry’s more notable photographs they seem fraudulent and more like artwork. I don’t see life when looking at them. I see a still frame with poses not conveying any natural emotions. McCurry’s photographs, although beautiful, feel too forced. Cole is right, Singh’s photographs “[draw] a breathtaking coherence out of the chaos of the everyday.” Sing’s work is more insightful and encapsulates reality because reality is not all glam and artsy. I don’t mean to be critiquing McMurray’s work and deciding it to be inferior to Singh’s work because it is a stylistic approach. But, I, much like Cole, prefer a more lively picture that evokes emotion. I don’t find myself as infatuated with the picture of the Afghan girl that McCurry took as I am with something like Singh’s Subhas Chandra Bose Statue. Singh’s photograph brings out the hectic nature of the city he’s photographing. Singh’s photo may not be aesthetically pleasing but it is far more interesting. Comparison of the two could best be described like this: compare the paintings of the coalition war where forces were glorified to the works found in the twentieth century like Guernica depicting the horrors of the Spanish Civil War. There is a complete change in feel. From proud and dignified to grotesque and blood curdling. Singh’s work isn’t grotesque, but it is a different way to depict people and life that in my opinion is better suited for such a task. Singh’s photographs seem more truthful and honest to the day to day life of the people he captures; not withholding any details that might bother the viewed or detract from the photos beauty. Singh’s photos are dedicated to every aspect of life that appear in front of him.