Education and Immigration

People I can’t imagine parting with anyone in my family.  Unfortunately, it was fairly common among new immigrants in the late 1900’s.  People would send over fathers, and sons and then they would send back money to those they left behind.  They only wanted to come here for a little.  Some actually went back, but as time went on, more and more decided to stay. My paternal grandfather’s father came here from Poland in the early 1900’s.  He returned every few years to the wife and sons he left behind.  Only after several years did he save up and manage to pay for this family’s trip to America. We have been here ever since.

Once Jews came to America, it is thought that they went to school and that contributed to their success.  The reality is that many immigrants, Jews specifically, did not have the money to send their kids to school for long.  My own grandfather dropped out of school to help support his family in eighth grade.  He started work in the Garment District and worked there for the rest of his life to support his family.

Now, it is not nearly as common to drop out.  Education is necessary for most jobs.  A high school degree is required for most menial jobs.  You need a college degree or higher for most other jobs.  Essentially, a college degree is what a high school degree was a few decades ago.  Now it is essential to many jobs to have a degree after a bachelor’s degree.  What is next?

Chapter 7 in From Ellis Island to JFK by Nancy Foner examines how culture helps immigrants maintain high scholastic achievements.  That is why Jews did so well and why Asians are now doing so well in school.  When you are in tune with your culture, you are more likely to do well in school and in life.

This entry was posted in April 30, Gabriella Deane. Bookmark the permalink.