The Mystery That Is College

Earlier today, I was reading an article assigned for my English 1010 class. Live and Learn: Why we have college by Louis Menand for The New Yorker. While reading this piece, the topic and information struck a chord within me. Just as most articles about college do. Obviously, because articles about college directly pertain to me.

Menand starts off by discussing the thought behind the question, “Why did we have to buy this book?” As a professor, he often heard this question. The students who asked this question were really asking him to “justify the return on investment in a college education.” (Although I slightly disagree. Sometimes, I believe, the students are simply complaining. But that’s beside the point.) Then, he talks about the general theories of higher education. “All that matters is the grades.”

Theory 1: College is a mechanism that determines intelligence in people. It is a four-year test, in which students must demonstrate their intellectual ability across a wide range of subjects. The G.P.A. is the final score, a measurement of capability and potential, which graduate schools and employers use as a determining factor. Education focuses on selection.

Theory 2: College enlightens its students. It is the time when people from all sorts of backgrounds come together, learn the accepted ways of society (before they part with their independent beliefs), and get on the same page. Higher education is mainly important for learning the fundamental basics. The things that matters is what the students learns. Grades are merely an “instrument of…reinforcement.” Education focuses on personal and intellectual growth.

Theory 3: College is where you go to learn vocational skills; to prepare directly for a career. High school is where you have a general education. Education focuses on specialized training.

I won’t delve into the rest of the discussion in the article. I just wanted to point out these three distinct thoughts on the reason for college.

I am a strong believer in the liberal arts. Therefore, I support Theory 2. Although, I would be lying if I say I don’t agree with Theory 1. I do believe that education is a sorting mechanism. And I do think that college is an excellent way to learn skills for a career (although internships are an even better way of preparing for a career). However, I believe college should be a place of enlightenment. Students should not only focus on training for a career. And students should not only focus on grades. Students should strive to be more knowledgeable in different fields. Cultured citizens!

What are your thoughts?