My Soundtrack to Life

All this talk about school, visual art, and what not. I’ve completely abandoned my second no wait, third? No, fourth love. I don’t know. All I know is that my first post was about music and I think that I haven’t talked about music since! How could I commit such a horrible offense (given my love for music and all)?!

The days are nice. The weather is warm. The atmosphere is chirpy! (This is probably a completely wrong use of “chirpy.”) Well, depending on my mood, which also depends on the weather and my general phase, I prefer to listen to certain songs/artists/albums/etc on repeat. That is, non-stop for the whole day, or even week.

When everything is bright and sunny: I like to walk around (the train station) listening to the soundtrack for the movie Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amelie Poulain. First off, this is one of my favorite movies of all time, if not my absolute favorite. And most definitely my favorite soundtrack to listen to on repeat. And this movie introduced me to my then-soon-to-be adoration for composer Yann Tiersen. So when the sky is blue with a few clouds and the temperature is 78 degrees Fahrenheit, when my mind is in Paris and my worries are not pertinent, this is what I listen to.

When I feel melodramatic, romantic, or just want to sleep: I listen to the albums of Secret Garden (the Irish-Norwegian duo). Their music is so soothing and beautiful. My favorite album, in particular, is Songs from a Secret Garden. The beautiful violin and piano duets, and sometimes vocals, are impeccable and absolutely breathtaking. When I listen to the (sadder) songs by Secret Garden, I’m whisked away to a magical land of natural beauty and I feel at peace. Or I just want to cry myself to sleep. Just kidding. But their music is truly inspirational. It often inspires stories and ideas in my mind that never go anywhere.

When I just want to cry my aching heart out, or come up with a fantastic cliché drama to entertain me before I fall asleep: I listen to specific songs from Korean dramas or from Korean ballad singers (whose songs might as well be in Korean dramas). I particularly like to listen to the ballads from the soundtrack to the drama My Girl. There are tons of other songs that fall in this category, but I would have to list the songs out individually and that would be too much. This song is from the a classic, depressing Korean drama, What Happened in Bali.

When I feel mellow and/or happy: like in the “When everything is bright and sunny” phase, I like to listen to Carla Bruni and the song La Même Histoire by FEIST. This phase is actually almost identical to the Amelie phase. Huh, go figure! I guess that means, whenever I feel good, I like to listen to mellow or soothing French songs.

When I feel a bit down (for no legitimate reason): I love to listen to the soundtrack to the movie Never Let Me Go, by Rachel Portman. This is one of the most beautiful soundtracks ever. I guess I could also name this phase: When skies are gray.

When I just want to sing along: I listen to Jon McLaughlin’s albums. Different songs for different moods. (He has a song for practically each of my moods!) But in general, I have a specific mood when all I want to listen to is Jon McLaughlin. Strange, considering the range amongst his songs. My favorite album to play on repeat might possibly be Forever If Ever. After I returned from his concert back in November, all I felt like listening to was his music. For about a month or two. That’s crazy. But, that’s how amazing I think he is. He’s coming back to NYC in June and I DEFINITELY want to go again.

When I feel on top of the world: I put Silbermond, a German rock band, on repeat. I only know their album Nichts Passiert right now, but it’s good enough. I just recently discovered them and I love them already!

Clearly, I go through a lot more phases than this. Practically a different one each day (and then they repeat). But I can’t pull all of them out of my head. That’s nearly impossible! And would probably be very boring to read. The easier thing to do would to just put my whole iTunes playlist for display if I really wanted you to know what kind of music I listen to. But I think the info I’ve given out in this post is just right. Not too much, not too little. And a bit playful, if I must say so myself.

Ah, the wonders of music.

Can you guess what my current music mood is? Well, I’ll just tell you. Depsite it being almost 3 in the morning, I am completely enamored by the Amelie soundtrack. Have been for the past two days. Maybe I should dedicate a post to the film.

One Response