One Reason Why I Love NYC

A couple weeks back, I discovered, through my friend’s photos, that the current Times Square/Grand Central Shuttle was transformed into a nobleman’s library. However, I thought it was a one weekend thing.  I just sat at home thinking, ah, so cool! If I had known earlier, I would’ve take the Shuttle to see it. But alas! It’s too late. Little did I know, it was an ad that has been running for almost a month. It began on September 14 and it ends on October 12. I can still go!

The Shuttle’s transformation is a part of the subway ad immersion experience. I’ve seen the exteriors of trains completely wrapped in an ads, namely Macy’s and Swatch, but I’ve never seen the inside redecorated. How cool! At first I thought the MTA was just changing things up a bit to encourage the arts or create a cool new subway experience for commuters, so that commuting isn’t so boring. It keeps us on our toes. But of course, I should have realized that it was an advertisement. It’s always about the money, money, money.

So, being the weird person that I am, I planned my whole Friday (besides class, that is) around this one trip: my ride on the shuttle. And, my first ride on the shuttle too! I took the 6 train at 51st St one stop to Grand Central. I could have easily gone home on the E train from 53rd St, with no transfers. But I decided to take a roundabout way home just to see the ad. (Actually, throughout the day, I kept thinking “Is it worth it to ride the shuttle when it’ll make my ride home less convenient? Do I really want to see the ad? Should I go next week instead?” But in the end, I decided, NO. It’s now or never. I HAVE TO SEE IT. If I postpone it, I’ll be even lazier.) To transfer from the 6 to the Shuttle is quite a walk actually. I was surprised. I walked a block to ride a train for 3 blocks.

The platform for the shuttle is huge at Grand Central. There were two shuttles waiting, one was about to leave and the other was waiting. People were running to catch the train and I was just walking slowly and standing around, waiting for the library one. At first, I thought that there was only one ad that all the shuttles had, but apparently, there were 2 or 3. The train waiting was wrapped around in a Tropicana ad. I didn’t go in because I thought it’d be weird if I popped in, took some photos, and the popped out. Besides, I just really wanted to see the library one, which is actually an ad for Ask.com.

A yellow subway, inside and out.

The train that had just left looked pretty plain. Maybe if I went closer to the train, I would have seen a subtle advertisement on the outside, but a completely re-envisioned inside. Just like the Mad Men Shuttle ad they ran back in 2008.

I waited for the next shuttle to come and I really hoped that it would be the Ask.com one, otherwise, I’d have to wait until who knows when. And wait I did not! The next shuttle to pull up, in the track right behind me, was Ask.com! The outside was decorated with questions, relevant to NYC and the subway. I went inside and snapped tons of photos of the interior. But to my surprise, the car I boarded had two guys just sitting there. Of all the chances, when I wanted to photograph the inside, there were two guys to make everything feel awkward. But, they turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

The two guys were musicians. Here is their website. One of them played the guitar and beatboxed. And both of them rapped freestyle. About what? Just the people in the car. Throwing compliments smoothly and effortlessly. It was really fantastic. I don’t know how anyone can make up such clever lines on the spot, without ever pausing or stuttering. One of them even mentioned me in his rap as the “girl with the camera.” He said I’d make them famous. Well, I don’t know if I can do that, but I can make them more well-known. I’m publicizing them here. While the two were taking turns rapping, a little girl who got on the train with her mom decided to join in. She rapped for a bit while the guy played his guitar. It was so adorable! It’s not everyday that you see a random passenger join in rapping, let alone a little girl. Everyone applauded. The three of them really brought a smile to the tired commuters’ faces. And even though I was already happy, they made me feel even happier. I didn’t know that was possible. Subway entertainers rarely make me feel all fuzzy inside. (One other time was when an all-male senior citizen a cappella group sang on the A train.) I don’t have photos of all three of them, just the guitarist/beatboxer. Fellow commuters blocked the girl and other rapper from my view.

(In that last photo, he was shaking his head up and down, while rapidly beatboxing, so fast that my shutter speed was not ready. I thought the photo came out interesting though.) I’m really glad I stayed on this car. And I’m really glad I decided to actually take the shuttle. Not your typical subway ride, right? I think I’ll take the shuttle at least once every month to see what new ads they have. (Once there was an ad for vacation in Brazil, where the trains were wrapped on the inside to look like a beach. Transporting your state of mind on NYC’s main way of transportation.) I’d like it if the MTA did this on some of the main routes as well. It would make commuting way more exciting.

Teaser: I am working on another post about the subway, except in a different way. It’s coming soon, so keep an eye out.