Manolo Valdes on Broadway

Manolo Valdes, Dama II, click for video.

This sculpture by Manolo Valdes is one of 16 lining the streets of Broadway from Columbus Circle to 166th St. Most of the installations are of big female heads with blank faces and crazy hairstyles.

I think this sculpture is about trying to portray the complexity of women. While the face is calm and passive, the elaborate hairstyles or headdresses are intimidating and just a little bit threatening. This contrast shows the range of emotions and personalities women can take. The lifeless face can also be a subtle dig at society’s expectations on women, for them to just be passive bystanders. The hair suggests the desire to be free and independent, breaking free from those expectations.

The location of the sculpture is also interesting. It is set in Dante Park, on Broadway between 63rd and 64th Sts. The park was lovely in its mini-nature appeal; the trees were swaying in the wind, leaves were falling, and the grass was still pretty green. But on its edge is this 12-foot tall head made of metal with its sharp edges and cold hardness. The contrast was interesting to me, maybe further suggesting that females have grown to be tough in order to gain their place in this world. They have had to change from being their natural, nurturing selves into a strong unshakeable force.

Lastly, the size seemed pretty important as well. As we discussed in class, being large can mean authority, dominance, or superiority. I believe the artist wanted to acknowledge the fact that women are growing to be a considerable presence in society, and that their influence is quickly expanding.

I would like to see the rest of the installation, and I will hope to post more pictures when I do.

This entry was posted in 9/29 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Manolo Valdes on Broadway

1. oweinroth says:

Very well done. Very creative presentation.