Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City A Macaulay Honors Seminar taught by Prof. Karen Williams at Brooklyn College

Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City
Be More – Effective Motivational Strategies

The Be More website is dedicated to bringing about change in United States social systems that are known for propagating social inequality. The website provides a plethora of factual examples of discrimination as well as measures to counteract the problem in a way that not only raises awareness, but also inspires action. I admit that, initially, I approached the website with reluctance. I thought it would take a typical textbook approach, in which it dedicates to pointing fingers and blaming particular groups for causing and perpetuating institutions that support racist behavior. On the contrary, this website focuses on identifying where racism and discrimination exist in our society and how the organization plans to combat the issues.

One part of the website that I found to be of particular interest was the blog section. I was surprised by how motivated and passionate each and every writer was in their approach. My favorite post was the one titled “3 Things The Pope Taught Millennials on His Visit to America.” This post identified Pope Francis as someone who supports socio-economic justice through “compassion, understanding, and concern for our fellow human beings,” mirroring the tactics that supported by the Be More organization. Pope Francis is one of many famous influential individuals that people look up to for guidance. I believe that recognition of public figures who support and practice the values of equality and justice is an important method promoting these principles in our society.

Another attention-grabbing portion of the website was the video, under the features section, titled “How Be More Hacks Unconscious Bias.” I was captivated by the quote by President Dwight D. Eisenhower presented in the beginning of the video. “There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of our citizens cannot cure.” The president’s words send a very powerful message. The president acknowledges that there are problems in our country, however, they can be fixed through characteristics and ideals that unite the people. This concept of a “reparable problem” is essential to establishing the proper mindset for creating change. Sometimes, the idea of success is lost with the seemingly never-ending list of problems that we encounter. Thus, I believe it is necessary that we are reminded that we can accomplish our goals, and that we have all of the tools we need at our disposal.

I also found the “‘Because I’m Latino I Can’t Have Money’ Kids On Race’ video on the resources page to be alarming and disturbing. The people that were interviewed on the video were victims of racism and discrimination at very young ages. They described how their peers used cultural stereotypes to bully them about their food, traditions, skin color, social status, etc.

I suspect that their bullies did have much knowledge or appreciation for other cultures, and were projecting their friends, parents or other family member’s stereotypical views without actually understanding the meaning behind their words. The issues depicted in the video underscore the need for cultural education in our families and communities.