The Year of the Flood A companion to Margaret Atwood's novel

The Year of the Flood
Oh Let Me Not Be Proud (Reflection)

“Oh Let Me Not Be Proud” from The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook pg 54

The nature of pride is implicitly based on a kind of excessiveness. While it is important to have positive self-regard, pride can undermine one’s values and endeavors. It skews the way we relate to our surroundings and the way we calculate essence. In fact, it reflects everything that is wrong the very notion of essence. When we are too proud, we tend to essentialize others (people, places and things) along a vague spectrum of good and bad. And more often than not, that spectrum falls in relation to our very own self-evaluations, which obscures truth and leads to a loss of meaning. “Oh Let Me Not Be Proud” motivates people to refer to more benevolent value-systems, like faith. Faith that must not necessarily be whole or complete, but strong and intentional. It says, I am my successes and my failures, not purely the former. Not purely pure, but a “blend of DNAs,” a piece of a part.

To read “Oh Let Me Not Be Proud” and the other God Gardener’s hymns, please visit: http://maddaddamtrilogy.wikia.com/wiki/MaddAddam_Trilogy_Wiki