Catalina Flores

Hi there! I’m Catalina and i’m a Freshman at Macaulay Honors College at CUNY Baruch. I grew up in Forest Hills, Queens and moved to the not so far off land of Manhattan this past August. It’s been a fun adjustment and I would say a successful one as well as I wrap up my first year of college.  I’m an Industrial/ Organizational Psychology major with a minor in Spanish. I want to travel everywhere but Spain is on the top of my list and I hope to get there soon! My parents are both immigrants from Mexico, and though I was born here I have strong ties to Mexican culture, which is part of the reason why I chose to look into Cinco de Mayo for this holiday project. The seminar classes that i’ve taken, especially this one, “The Peopling of New York City,” have done a great job at showing me how to look at things in the city through a different lens. I tried to use this skill when looking into Cinco de Mayo and I hope you enjoy reading about it and about all of the celebrations we use this website to explore.