Interview Answers and Reflection

The faculty of the School of Cooperative Technical Education

Three teachers at the School of Cooperative Technical Education were interviewed. They were Emma Fiorica (a medical billing teacher), Alejandro Jhonson (a Cisco Networking/ Network+ teacher), and Cherry Ferguson ( a learning coordinator). All three teachers are of different ethnical origin. Emma is a first generation Italian-American; Alejandro is Latino and was born in Central America; Cherry is West Indian and is of Scottish and Caribbean descent. Both Emma and Cherry have taught at the school for 3.5 years, however, Alejandro has taught at the school for over a decade. We learned that all CTE instructors are required to follow CORE curriculum, CTE and CDOS guidelines. However, each teacher interviewed made note of the fact that the needs of each of their students also plays a role in how they develop their curriculum.

When asked about the biggest challenge that teachers face in educating students, both Emma and Cherry had similar responses. They both mentioned the fact that they want to ensure that what they are teaching is actually being absorbed by the students, especially when there are so many obstacles that they (the students) face in their everyday lives. Alejandro’s response differed from the other two’s, as he said,

“The desire and commitment by the student to learn to me is the biggest obstacle to the process of education. If a person identifies that they have a need to learn something, the process of education then becomes viable. It is not ability but desire that is the beginning of success.”

They also each advocated for different changes that they wanted to see implemented by the NYC Board of Education. Emma wanted to see the Board of Education provide more funding to CTE schools. Alejandro hopes that a successful learning support system will be put in place for each student based on their individual needs. Cherry hopes for resources and support for more after-school endeavors.

The most interesting answers that we received were when we asked about why they wanted to become teachers. Emma said,

“The biggest influence that made me become a teacher is my two children. I have always taken great pride and concern in their education. I also started volunteering at their school as a reading aide.  When they became of age where they no longer required my assistance with their homework and studies, I combined my two passions, being a medical biller and working with children. Being a CTE instructor is and has been an amazing experience.”

Alejandro had a different reason as to why he became a teacher, stating

“For me the answer is very clear, I have always been an educator,. Even in private practice when training was my job duty I was greatly satisfied. Becoming a public school educator was a natural progression with my growing need to give back.”

Cherry talked about how, as an immigrant, she had many great teachers that helped her along the way and made her transition into life in America as smooth as possible. She mentioned that these teachers inspired her and she felt that the best way to give back to the teaching community would be to become one herself.

All three teachers acknowledged the fact that CTE has students from all races, religions, and boroughs of NYC.

The interviews helped us to better understand who exactly the teachers of NYC are. Each teacher that was interviewed was of a different ethnical background, which suggests that the teachers of NYC are a diverse group of people. While the teachers are all required to follow certain guidelines, they each adjust their curriculums to fit their individual students’ needs. The three teachers’ responses to the “biggest challenge” question show that each teacher throughout NYC approaches teaching their students in their own, unique way to assure that they perform well.

Teachers throughout NYC always seem to be urging the Board of Education for more support and resources, and the CTE teachers certainly weren’t part of the anomaly.

However, the most important thing that we took from the interviews was that the teachers of NYC each have their own unique story/background as to how they became teachers. However, their goal is one and the same: to educate the increasingly diverse students of NYC.