The Met: Table

This painting is called “Table,” and it presides in The Metropolitan Museum.

I liked this painting a lot. Well, I liked what I got from it. To me, this painting is a lot more than a table. I see the table as a symbol for humans. I think it represents how there is always going to be two different sides to a human: one that he or she is open about and one he or she keeps to himself or herself. So, there is a public half of a person and a secret half of a person. The table represents this because one side of the table that is covered by a table cloth and the other side is not.  Also, behind the side of the table that is not covered by a table cloth, we see a window that lets the light in on that side of the table. That is more evidence that this represents a person’s public side. The light represents truth in this case. Then, behind the part of the table that is covered we see a wall and a curtain. A wall blocks this part of the table from the rest of the world, and the curtain represents not letting light in.

The reason I made the connection between the table and a human is because I thought about the reasons one would put a table cloth on a table. What I came up with was that one would put a table cloth on a table to either hide damage or something embarrassing about the table or to protect the table. Either way, this relates to why humans cover their secret side. They are either trying to protect themselves or they are hiding some damage or blemish in their personality. I would give an example of something Everyone does this though whether they want to believe it or not. I think that is the message the artist is trying to send.

This entry was posted in Rebecca Zielkowski, The Met. Bookmark the permalink.