Brooklyn Museum: Black Rosy, or My Heart Belongs to Black Rosy

This piece of art is found at the Brooklyn Museum and it’s entitled, Black Rosy, or My Heart Belongs to Black Rosy. It was created by Niki de Saint Phalle.

This sculpture stood out to me when I was walking through the Brooklyn Museum. I mean how couldn’t it? It’s huge! I knew it was a woman because of the clothing, but I thought it was quite odd that it’s body looked nothing like a woman at all.

At first, I thought it was just a hideous woman, but then when I examined it further, I noticed that the woman’s head was ten sizes too small. The head is so tiny in proportion to the body that it seems significant don’t you think?

So, what I got from this was that the sculpture was a symbol for sexism. It was a model of how men saw women back in the day even if they loved them. They did not believe that women should have a voice or that they had a big brain or were able to keep up scholastically with men. To men, women were just a body. This sculpture accentuates this idea. This woman’s body is huge. She is really curvy, and despite her bulkiness, she was what a man was looking for. A curvy woman, who wore fancy things to show off her curves.

I don’t know if the meaning is deeper than that, but I feel that has something to do with it. For this reason, I liked this sculpture because it serves as a model to women as to what not to let men see them and treat them as.

This entry was posted in Brooklyn Museum, Rebecca Zielkowski. Bookmark the permalink.