Three Musicians

When I realized that I was standing in front of a painting by Pablo Picasso , I got chills. I couldn’t believe that he had stood in front of this same work for hours, thinking about and feeling it. So much of his mind power had gone into it that I yearned to be in his thoughts! Standing before their result, I felt as if I could sense his breathing..

The painting’s simple title, “Three Muscians,” is accurate in describing the subject of the work, but there are so many more layers. The elements of cubism are softened and interwoven as no geometric figures ever were. The colors add life to shapes that never breathed before and make them human. The musicians seem to be wearing masks, but this can also just be their faces and the natural masks that we all put on in reality. These masks allow us to survive in a world where we must constantly adapt to our sorroundings.

Looking into the many overlapping patterns can make one dizzy, or go into a trance. You find your eyes travelling over shapes and forms that your brain hadn’t aknowledged yet and you are helpless: you must move forward. There seems to be a force pulling you in, you can almost here the music of these musicians playing in your ear…At first you try to pull away, but then you realize that you want to go in, go farther- you surrender..

This entry was posted in Aleksandra Sher, MoMA. Bookmark the permalink.