Stirring the Mind into Thought

“The Civil Rights Movement” ended only 50 years ago and I feel like we need another one because so many of us have forgotten about it! Today, I came across this video on Black Voices and it really spoke to me and confirmed some of my beliefs. Yes, Obama’s presidency has shown America has changed, but we need to change ourselves, too, as the Mayor of Birmingham, Larry Langford said.

Read the creator, Reginald Bullock’s statement on vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/3686946 and here:

This video was created to inspire young at-risk African-Americans not to fall prey to some of the problems they face in society.
This video should not to be used to divide people (Black and White).
This video should not be used to criticize all aspects of hip-hop culture.
This video should not be used to degrade the millions of children that do not have the proper educational resources offered in their community.
This video should not be used to scare Black youth into a position of change.
This video should not be used to allow the rest of society to escape from their responsibility, to reach back and help with financial & academic support.

If used properly, this video will allow our youth to see some of the horrific conditions that our ancestors fought through and some of the horrific conditions we face today.

All Americans should be upset at the alarming homicide rate in many cities.
Many have asked “Why should I care?”…but can you imagine, the first person to find a cure for cancer, could be living in one of these areas, that we are afraid to reach out and help.
The use of the voice “Master of Darkness” represents the abstract concept of evil.

A War For Your Soul-Birmingham version from Erisai Films on Vimeo.