All posts by Amanda Licastro

Amanda Licastro received her BA in English and Creative Writing with a minor in Italian from Loyola College in Maryland, and an MA in English with a certificate in teaching in two-year colleges from DePaul University in Chicago. She has worked as an adjunct professor in both northeastern Pennsylvania and New York. Amanda is currently in her second year of doctoral studies in the English Program at the Graduate Center focusing on the relationship between technological progress and writing, and will be completing her certificate in Interactive Technology and Pedagogy this year through an independent study involving her work on the Writing Studies Tree (writingstudiestree.org). Amanda also serves on the editorial collective of the Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy and is the co-chair of the Graduate Center Composition and Rhetoric Group.

Chinatown Interactive Map

Chinatown

loading map - please wait...

Confucius Plaza: 40.714785, -73.995870
55 East Broadway: 40.713435, -73.995455
45 East Broadway: 40.714036, -73.989904
57 East Broadway: 40.713443, -73.995364
60 East Broadway: 40.713841, -73.995239
Henry Street: 40.713339, -73.990130
Madison Street: 40.712506, -73.991152
39 Pell Street: 40.714957, -73.998832
Pell Street: 40.714802, -73.998005
marker icon
icon-car.png
Confucius Plaza
100_2936
Chinatown, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
55 East Broadway
100_2965
55 East Broadway, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
45 East Broadway
100_2962
East Broadway, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
57 East Broadway
100_2966
57 East Broadway, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
60 East Broadway
Despite the new buildings and businesses sprouting up, these buildings are still present in today's Chinatown.

60 East Broadway, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
Henry Street
This is a common sight in Chinatown, where old and new buildings stand side by side, showing that gentrification does not benefit everyone.

Henry Street, Manhattan, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
Madison Street
High rise buildings like this contrast with its surroundings in Chinatown.

Madison Street, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
39 Pell Street
100_2982
39 Pell Street, New York, NY, United States
marker icon
icon-car.png
Pell Street
100_2929
Pell Street, New York, NY, United States

Editing your group’s home page

Hello class,

A follow-up from Monday’s workshop:
First, send your featured image to Ariel and add it to the media library on the neighborhood project site ASAP. Don’t forget to supply a citation and link.
Once you have done that, Ariel will add the image to the home page of the site. This links to a post with that image under the name of your neighborhood. To make this the landing page of your group site, I suggest adding some introductory text and links to your sub-menus. I have done a quick example for you using the Brooklyn Beaches group:
http://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/beemanneighborhoods/2014/04/29/brooklyn-beaches/
(Note: this group will need to edit this and replace it with their research and menu items)

Please email me if you have any questions!

Getting started on your final project

As we hit the mid-way mark of the semester, it is time to start planning your final project. Your ITF is here to help!

As a class:

Start by identifying the elements you think are effective in previous course sites by browsing the Encyclopedia (shown to you at Tech Fair and examples posted by your professor). Consider especially:

1. Theme – How many columns are there? Does it have a custom header? How many navigation menus are there?
  2. Menus – Where are they on the site (top, side, bottom, embedded in a map or slider)? Do they contain sub-menus?
  3. Pages – How are the pages designed? Do the pages contain linked indexes? What kind of multimedia is used? How and where is the media embedded (link, image, etc)?

You will want to choose the elements you think will work best for your site, and then come together as a class and assign roles to different people in order to achieve a cohesive site. In other words, everyone should have a task to work on and you should create a schedule that makes sense in terms of workflow in order to complete the project on time.

As a group:

1. Organize your information – What topics do you wish to cover? Can you identify keywords for your project?
  2. Select your media – What medium will best feature your work: video, timeline, map, images, text, or a combination?
  3. Assign roles – Again, you want to think about this in terms of tasks that individuals can complete in order to realize your cohesive vision. You may want to assign a writer, editor, designer, and put someone in charge of finding and testing digital tools.

Tool Ideas:

Based on the preliminary ideas Professor Beeman described, here are a list of tools you may want to consider using to showcase your work-

• Timelines
    Tiki-Toki: Example (made by ITF Amanda)
    Dipity
    TimelineJS and this tutorial (by ITF Emily)
  • Maps
    Custom Google Maps: Examples, another example, and tutorial
  • NEW Maps Engine Lite: Watch the tutorial video
    Maps Marker: Example and tutorial (by ITF Maggie)
  • Images
    Resizing or this tutorial ( from ITF Brian)
    Adding an image gallery tutorial ( from ITF Brian)
  • Videos
    iMovie: Tutorial  from ITFs at Brooklyn, a tutorial (from ITF Amanda Favia), and tutorials from Apple
  • Audio
    Finding, editing, and embedding audio tutorial (from ITF Amanda)
    GarageBand: Tutorials from ITFs and tutorials from Apple
  • A bit of everything
    Example
    Tutorials (from ITF Jenny)And please remember, every image, audio clip, video, or selection of text you take from the Internet must be given proper attribution (citation! link!) and it must be free to use. Please ask your professor or an ITF for more help with understanding copyright and fair use…In order to ensure you are within your rights to use the material you have selected, please assess any work of art you utilize (for any project you embark on at Macaulay and beyond) by considering these factors:
    FairUse

1. the purpose and character of the use (commercial or educational, transformative or reproductive);
    2. the nature of the copyrighted work (fictional or factual, the degree of creativity);
    3. the amount and substantiality of the portion of the original work used; and
    4. the effect of the use upon the market (or potential market) for the original work.

(source, Ugoretz “Free as Air” presentation, 2013)

Please email your ITF to set up an appointment during office hours if you need help.

Tech Fair Make-up sessions

IMPORTANT:

If you missed your tech fair, please check this site for make-up sessions and attend one.

http://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/baruchtechfair14/registration/

For those of you who have missed this required event, there are still a few sessions at other campuses. Here are your options:

City College
Thursday, March 6
12:30pm-2pm
NAC 4/150 (Honors Center)
Contact Bronwyn DL dobchukland@gmail.com

Hunter College
Wednesday, March 12
1:20 – 2:40pm
MHC
Contact Fiona Lee

Brooklyn College
Tuesday, March 11th
During club hours (12:30-2p)
Rooms: 3113B, 3153B, 3405B, 3407B
Contact Margaret Galvan

Please ask the ITF running the session to email Brian Ford after the event with your attendance information.

Spread the word.

TECH FAIR UPDATE

This is a very important update on this week’s mandatory tech fair:

The 2014 Baruch Tech Fair  only has spots open on on Tuesday March 4th. Wednesday is FULL. Also, the Honors Study Room has been changed to the Schwartz Communication Center Room 323. Please change the location in your calendar and check the site before you leave for this event tomorrow.

Pizza will be served at 6:45pm for both sessions on Tuesday, so please stay late or come early for pizza! The pizza will arrive at 5:15pm on Wednesday.

All details and FAQ’s here: http://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/baruchtechfair14/

All current freshmen are required to attend one session (each session is 90 minutes in length). Please register here.

Your two registration options are:

• Tuesday, March 4th at either 5:30 pm or 7:05 pm

Please note that:

• A sessions will be held at the Honors Lounge at 17 Lexington Avenue, Room 903
  • B sessions will be held at the Schwartz Communication Center, 137 E. 25th St, Room 323
  • You must bring your laptop. Make sure it is charged. There are no power outlets in the Honors Lounge.

If you have any questions, see the FAQ or contact your ITF.

Baruch Tech Fair – Sign up!

The 2014 Baruch Tech Fair  will take place on Tuesday March 4th and Wednesday March 5th. You need only sign up for one session.

All current freshmen are required to attend one session (each session is 90 minutes in length). Please register here – the slots fill up quickly!

Your three registration options are:

• Wednesday, March 5th at 5:30 pm

Please note that:

• B sessions will be held at the Honors Study Room, 137 E. 25th St, Room 308

Amanda’s “office”

Hello class,

Thanks to Dr. Beeman, I have a cubicle in her office where I will be holding my office hours. Please come to 4-240-H (enter the office by the 4th floor elevators, and ask the administrative assistant for help) between 12 and 2pm on Wednesdays if you need any help with the technological components of this course. I can help you find relevant research materials, assist you in planning your presentation, or offer tools to help you with your walking tours. Just email me to make an appointment.

Amanda – amanda.licastro@gmail.com

Meet your professor: Dr. Angie Beeman

Professor Beeman’s Bio

I received my Ph.D. at the University of Connecticut, where I taught courses in Sociology and Women’s Studies for 8 years. In addition to Intro to Sociology, I taught women and violence, women’s health, social problems, ethnicity and race, and race, class, and gender. I was also the first person chosen to teach the famous racism course developed by my mentor Noel A. Cazenave.  I received two teaching awards at UConn in Sociology and Women’s Studies. I was also very active with the Women’s Center, where I chaired a number of committees. Before coming to Baruch, I taught Intro to Sociology and Ethnic Groups at BMCC and a course on urban sociology at the College of Staten Island.

Through the years, I have chaired numerous student social justice and honors projects. Many of my students have gone onto graduate school pursuing careers in sociology, medicine, political science, law, and psychology. One of my former undergraduate students is now a Professor of Sociology and I continue to mentor her as she progresses through her career.  I particularly love working with the students in CUNY, because like many of our students, I came from a working class background.  My family lived in a small, coal-mining town in western Pennsylvania, a town with very limited opportunities. The film, “All the Right Moves” is actually about Johnstown, PA, which was 20 minutes from my home. In the film, Tom Cruise plays a teenager desperately trying to get out of the dead-end town. Well, to folks in my town, Johnstown was the closest place to go for better opportunities! The struggles I endured while pursuing a higher education greatly influenced the career path I chose as a teacher and a researcher.

In my research I examine social inequalities in the economic, political, and cultural arenas. I specialize in racism theory, social movements, media, and gender. I recently published a study on predatory lending and racial inequality in lending. I have also published studies on portrayals of interracial relationships in U.S. films and domestic violence. In addition, I have been involved in a number of social justice and community organizations. My dissertation received a national award recognizing a commitment to scholar activism from the Society for the Study of Social Problems. In this study, I examined the strategic use, limitations, and challenges of color-blind ideology in grassroots interracial social movement organizations. I also received an award from the American Sociological Association for my research on racism and film in which I developed the concept of “emotional segregation.”  Last semester, I was awarded a partial sabbatical along with the Whiting Award for Excellence in Teaching.

After living a few years in Staten Island, I moved to New Jersey, where I live with my husband, who is a Professor at the College of Staten Island, and my daughters, Justice (7 yrs) and Hope (2 yrs).

Prof. Beeman’s Vita

Meet your new ITF: Amanda Licastro

Amanda Licastro
Email: amanda.licastro@gmail.com
Website: http://digitocentrism.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
Office Hours: Mondays 12-3:00pm (email amanda.licastro@gmail.com to make an appointment). Amanda Licastro received her BA in English and Creative Writing with a minor in Italian from Loyola College in Maryland, and an MA in English with a certificate in teaching in two-year colleges from DePaul University in Chicago. She has worked as an adjunct professor in both northeastern Pennsylvania and New York. Amanda is currently in her third year of doctoral studies in the English Program at the Graduate Center focusing on the relationship between technological progress and writing, and completed her certificate in Interactive Technology and Pedagogy through an independent study involving her work on the Writing Studies Tree (writingstudiestree.org). Amanda also serves on the editorial collective of the Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy.