All posts by edbenj

Project Idea

So for my project I want to explore to Sephardic Jewish Community of Brooklyn New York. Specifically those that have migrated from Syria, and that live in the same general area (between ave I and ave w going from E 23rd to W 5th). This community is considered to be one of the most cohesive Jewish communities in the world. The community has sought to bring all of its culture and maintain its tradition since arriving in America. I’m not sure what I want to focus on more specifically, I am thinking about two things: exploring what defines a “member” of this community, or the acculturation that the community has gone through since coming to America and how it has reacted and evolved to protect the communal cohesion.

Edward Benjamin

My name is Edward Benjamin, I was born and raised in West Long Branch New Jersey, a very small town near the ocean in Monmouth County. I currently live in Brooklyn in an apartment underneath my sister, brother-in-law, and two nieces.  I went to a Jewish private school for most of my life, although for middle school I attended public school. I am not sure what I want to do for a career, I am interested in many different fields including marketing, psychology, history, and management. If i had to pick one profession I would probably choose to be a teacher, but it will probably change by the time I am done writing this. This semester I am studying Business Law, Sociology, Psychology of Motivation, and Microeconomics . As of now, I think I want to major in IO Psychology because I really enjoy learning about psychology and I like applying the things I learn about to real situations. I am actually really happy to be out of the Arts of New York City Seminar because I am not much of an art person, and I really am interested in human behavior. I hope to get a lot from this class, specifically the ability to understand what creates different perceptions of the world amongst different communities and cultures, and to be able to identify them. I belong to a very tight knit community and I also want to be able to understand the dynamics and nuances that give it it’s unique aura.574667_117448858416099_900812888_n

This is me and my great aunt who lives in Israel where I studied abroad for a year after high school.