All posts by Ariel Yuan

Neighborhood Project Ideas

For my neighborhood project, I have narrowed down my ideas to two neighborhoods.

The first neighborhood I am considering is Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Originally farmland, I think it would be interesting to see how Greenpoint developed and how the Polish cultivated the area.

The second neighborhood I am interested in researching is Morningside Heights, Manhattan. Morningside Heights is home to many institutions such as colleges and churches. I think it would be interesting to see why these institutions set up in this neighborhood and how their presence have shaped the area.

My Introduction

Hey everyone. My name is Ariel Yuan. I was born in Flushing Queens; however, when I was 7 years old, my family moved to Poughkeepsie. For those who don’t know where Poughkeepsie is, it is located in upstate New York about 2 hours away from Manhattan. Currently, I dorm on 97th and 3rd.

964565_10201296193151450_107741991_o 2

My sister and I at my Senior prom

Although I love living in a small tight-knit community, Poughkeepsie can get really boring. Attending a small high school where my graduating class consisted of about 120 student, I saw the same faces everyday since elementary school. When deciding where to attend college, I knew I wanted to experience something different. One of the main reasons I decided to come to Baruch is its location. Now living in Manhattan, I have access to many activities and opportunities. In addition, due to its amazing programs and benefits, my acceptance into the Macaulay Honors program also had a major influence in my decision.

As of now, I am a marketing major and I hope to pursue a career in that field in the future; however, my ultimate goal in life is to get married and have children. In fact, I actually really love cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children. Additionally, I believe that family is the most important thing in life.

photo

Me as a baby

Lastly, I am very excited for this course. I’ve always loved New York City because of its diversity. New York City is a melting pot consisting of so many different ethnicities. I am eager to learn more about this city and its people.

Well, thanks for reading my introduction and I look forward to getting to know all of you more.