All posts by shixuzheng

Project Idea

For my ethnographic project, I am particularly interested in Chinatown, especially the change in demographics, how recent immigrants are influenced by the established social code of Chinatown, how people attain jobs and houses, and how new immigrants are interacting with American-born Chinese.

Since I live in Flushing, it would be equally interesting studying the neighborhood you settle in. This neighborhood is particular in its huge diversity of ethnicity. Rather than solely occupied by Chinese, Flushing is made up of Asians (majorly Chinese and Korean), Indians, Hispanics, and Caucasians. How different ethnic groups converge together would be my interest.

My Introduction

Photo on 1-27-14 at 10.52 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Shixu Zheng. You can call me Ryan if you want. I want to be a actuarial scientist because I could get much fun from analyzing and calculating. I have taken anthropology last semester which I believe was a very interesting subject that developed my thoughtfulness about humanity and all kinds of ideologies that people take as granted.  People of New York would  be another awesome class for me because I can apply my previously learned knowledge into the fieldwork project we are going to conduct and deepen my understanding of the subject of people or human. I live in Flushing and I can feel that this Asian neighborhood is able to change the people here, including me. As for my hobbit, I love everything; I attend a weekly salon with all kinds of topics such as architecture, bartending, entrepreneurship, history, and city development. I like to explore everything that would enrich my thought and knowledge.

Below is a link to a video about making coffee that interests me:

How to Make a Cappuccino