Tom Smith's Heavenly Bodies Exhibit

Tom Smith’s Heavenly Bodies Exhibit

Visiting Tom Smith’s Heavenly Bodies exhibit at the ROX gallery gave me an insight on the life of an artist and how they work. The first thing that captured my attention was the bright colors in almost all his artwork. The colors he used made his paintings stand out from the white walls, making such a stark contrast as if they were glowing, making the atmosphere of the gallery bright and lively. On each side of the wall, there are different sets of artwork, each with a different style. He explained to us how one set of his artwork led him to create the next, building on each style.

heavenly-bodies-tom-smith-rox

This is my favorite piece from the exhibit:

I love the colors used here, the layered effect, and the splattered paint, which all make it very unique. There are painted strips overlapping each other that made me feel like I was looking through window blinds. Tom Smith explained that he cut similar paintings into tiny strips and glued them all together to create the collage. Even he didn’t know exactly how the painting would turn out! I thought that was interesting because I always thought artists had a clear idea of what they were going to create and how it would turn out.

When I first saw his 3-D works, the effects of the carved wood reminded me of a landscape map and the bright red color he used reminded me of fire. This makes sense since he later said that he worked on it in Iceland, where there are a lot of volcanoes.

IMG_7332       IMG_7333

I also learned from this experience that artists usually take on another job while they work on their art. This makes sense since it’s hard for emerging artists at first.

In conclusion, I’m really glad I was able to visit this exhibit and see the artist,  Tom Smith, and learn from him through his experiences.