There are also a lot of third-party apps that can be embedded in your eportfolio. This is a list to point you in the right direction, but it is not completely comprehensive. If you find something that you like and it’s not here, let us know so we can add it!
Mapping and Timelines
- Google Maps allow the user to create interactive maps that can be embedded into any website.
- Google Earth is similar to Google Maps but has increased functionality.
- Dipity creates an interactive timeline, and allows you to integrate different web applications such as GoogleMaps and YouTube as well as other links from news sources, etc.
- EnviroMaps and EnviroFacts
- NYPL historic maps site
- Social Explorer: creating customized maps and reports based on census data and American Community Surveys.
- Umapper lets you make embeddable flash maps.
- YouTube is an obvious choice–and has additional functionality that allows for annotation of the video with live links attached
- Vimeo an alternative to YouTube with a higher resolution and more sophisticated appearance
- Download Helper is a Firefox extension that allows easy downloads of YouTube videos
- Jing (video screen capture) an excellent tool that allows still and video screen captures
- Keepvid is a website where you can download YouTube videos in mp3 or other compatible format by entering the address of the desired video and simply selecting “save”
- Audacity is a free multi-track audio editor. This application runs on your computer (not on the web).
- Myna is a free multi-track audio editor that runs completely in the browser. Good for simple projects on the go, but upload restrictions may make this program unsuitable for detailed projects.
Annotation and Social Bookmarking
- Flickris a photo storage and sharing web site. All photos can be annotated visually, allowing for an explanation of key elements of a given photo. Downsides: while the photo will embed on other web sites, the annotations are only visible when you look at the photo on Flickr.
- iMapFlickr is an app that allows you to create custom Google Maps from your geotagged Flickr photos to embed in your website.
- Slideshare is a slideshow player that supports Word, Powerpoint. PDF and iWork pages files. You can also add an mp3 file to play as a soundtrack to your slideshow, as well as embed a youtube video within your slideshow. The slideshow can be embedded in your website.
- Voicethread is a web-based service which allows you to upload & arrange images/slides, then add audio commentary and written annotations. You can also draw on the screen to highlight portions of a slide. The final result is easily embeddable. Multiple users can comment on one VoiceThread, allowing for a conversational approach.
- Zotero is a Firefox plug-in which gathers and manages bibliographic references easily from databases and websites, and generates citations in a wide variety of styles. You can also share a folder for cooperation. Zotero also has a plug-in for integration into word processing software, like Microsoft Word and Open Office. Update: Zotero now also offers a Standalone version, with connectors for Chrome and Safari.