Carmen by George Bizet

Carmen by George Bizet

Walking to the Met was a bit confusing at first- it was my first time there, and google maps had decided to lead me behind the opera house to the parking garage. However, once I got there, I was astounded. The entire complex reminded me of the Greek pavilions, and I felt like I was walking among the temples of the gods. The Met on the outside was visually stunning, but inside was somehow even more grand. It was difficult to feel intimidated by the wealth and all the fancy people with suits and dresses; instead, I was overcome with a sense of awe and wonderment at the splendor of the place. IMG_1404                                   IMG_1405

While waiting for our ticket problem to be resolved, I was reading an advertisement near the ticket booth. It was an ad for an Egyptian opera, and one critic had said something to the effect of, “with all the grandeur, the costumes and sets, it feels as though you are really in ancient Egypt.” I wondered if I would experience this over the top, immersive feeling from Carmen. Good thing it did not disappoint.

Going into the show, I had a feeling that I would hate it-I would fall asleep and not understand anything. I thought that those three hours would be the longest of my life. Instead, I found myself completely into the performance, and by the second half I was captivated by the music,singing and acting. I was amazed that someone could sing so loud, for so long at such a high pitched voice, and I have newfound respect for my high school music teacher who was once an opera singer. The themes were all very catchy-I still can’t get the theme of Carmen and the toreador out of my head.

Although I enjoyed all the acts, my favorite by far was the finale. In the opening, where the opera’s main theme is welcoming the entrance of the toreador, the sheer number of people on stage, the joyous theme of the music and all the festivities evoked a sense of grandeur. It really made me feel as though I was in Southern Spain, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the toreador. Throughout the scene between Carmen and the soldier, I loved the use of the toreador’s theme in the background. It was a clever way to show that the scene was happening during another event instead of just a scene following another scene. The mirroring of the deaths of the bull and Carmen was really cool as well.

All in all, Carmen was a completely unique, enjoyable experience with a bunch of “firsts” for me. It was my first time to the opera. It was the first time I’ve gotten to see the orchestra pit up close during intermission. It was the first time that I’ve seen people eat courses of dinner during intermission. I’m glad I was able to have the opportunity to go to the opera, something that I probably would’ve never done on my own

.   IMG_1393                 IMG_1391