Images move

I had been something always me at the back of my mind, I had been told by various friends that the exhibits at the Museum of the Moving Image was a sight that was not to be missed. So thus when Christina mentioned to me that admission was free on Fridays I told her that we must go as soon as both of our schedules allowed us to. The anticipation on top of the fact that it was a very cold day when Christian and I decided to make this journey made the journey to the museum seem like one of the longest journeys of my life. The feeling of relief and excitement was indescribable. The museum of the moving image is in general a museum that follows the development of ‘the moving image’ (or as its usually referred to as television and film).  It covers a very wide scope from the development of televisions to sound recording, video recording, costume, props as well as just design of many ideas that are in some of the most famous movies of our time. Also as if simply just thrown in at random they showcased the development of video games from the genesis to the xbox360. What I really liked about this museum was the amount of interactive exhibits they integrated to the museum overall. They had a little voice over booth, where you could voice over different movies and see your voice come out of the mouth of your favorite actors on a big screen. They had many nineteenth century optical toys, which you were actually allowed to touch and try out, such as a picture revolving contraption, that showed a three stooges skit and an optical illusion wheel, which features a man running. Of the vintage optical illusions my absolute favorite was one that was shown in a completely dark room that had one large spot light flash very rapidly at what seems to look like a tall circular cage. It spins around rapidly and as the light flashes on it rapidly, it appears as if the cage is not in fact spinning. What you do see is the optical illusion of a rain drop, that morphs into a rocket, then a hand appears and catches the rocket which splatters, then it turns into a piece of paper, and then fold into a paper air plane that lands in a basket. The museum also feature a lot of photographs of actors, of which one of Whoopi Goldburg stood out to me, because it was when she was much younger, and it is not how I usually picture her, it I think of her. Lastly it must be said that the moving image museum is beautiful, from the architecture outside, to the lighting, and the use of white and space. I absolutely loved this museum and definitely plan on going back one day very soon.IMG_2240

This entry was posted in My Collection. Bookmark the permalink.