Muffinmilk

I always walk down this street, not only this street, various streets. There are many places where I’m sure that I’ve seen on of this artist’s elusive tags or attractive posters, but before today I never went out of my way to record it. The time has finally come where I can now actually ‘see’ what it was that has been catching my eye all over the city. What had been catching my eye were tags of ‘MuffinMilk’ in script writing near my dorm and down in St. Mark’s place. Also these posters which bear the same name, but with the accompaniment of a silly cartoon character of either a mickey mouse with a milk carton as a head and muffin in hand or of a baker holding a glass of what is assumed to be ‘muffin milk’. I personally find that these posters are hilarious and it simply makes my day better when I see on the side of the street, smiling at me trying to get me to get whatever this ‘muffinmilk’ is. Because of the posters I decided to do a bit of research on the ‘muffinmilk’, what I found was that muffinmilk is apparently a streetware clothing company. A small one that is local to right here in New York City. MuffinMilk proposes to be the embodiment of street culture, connecting every element of the ‘hustling.’ They also claim to simply represent artist everywhere of all mediums. I really like that this is the manner in which they have decided to advertise they’re merchandise. I had been aware that it is actually quite popular to hire graffiti artists to advertise clothing and things in other countries such as Germany. I did not know that the practice was also done here in our lovely city. In my opinion it is a very effective means of advertisement, since it is relatively cost effective, easy to execute and the majority of people who will notice the work would probably be those that are in this case the target audience. This artwork means to me that some artist somewhere, somewhere relatively close to me is trying to make this New York jungle we live in just a bit more attractive. Also that an artist, of little or large noteworthy is trying to have their voice her, their work seen, if by somewhat illegal means, they are accomplishing what they have set out on doing.  In general this art work has nothing to do with anything we have done thus far in class

Name of Artist: MuffinMilk, the artist is undisclosed

Title of Work: MuffinMilk

Date of Work: November 18, 2011

Materials/Medium: spraypaint, posters

Genre: graffiti

Location: 3rd ave and 12th street (near st. marks place)

Accompaniment?: Margo Curz

This entry was posted in My Collection. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Muffinmilk

1. MuffinMilk says:

Hi, thanks for writing about us! We appreciate the support and love! But we were wondering if you could take our full names off of it and just leave “MuffinMilk” as artist names. Thanks 🙂