NAWA Art Exhibit

100_2085100_2067100_2068100_2072 100_2073100_2075 100_2076100_2077 100_2078100_2079100_2080 100_2081

I found the NAWA exhibit to be breathtakingly stunning and incredibly impressive. When I first arrived at the exhibit however, I was tired and ready to be bored. Despite my best efforts of being a downer, I found myself enraptured by the artwork. To be blunt there were a few pieces that I actively disliked and several that I found myself abundantly apathetic towards. Luckily there were a great many that I thought were nice, and these select few that were the basis for the majority of my adulations. The pictures I have chosen to incorporate into this blog post are as follows: “Effervescent Atmosphere” by Susan Holford, “Who’s Your Puppet Master” by Roberta Millman-Ide (Twice), “Loving” by Priscilla Heep-Coll, “Tempest I” by Pamela Soldwedel, “The Outside World” by Mira Satryan, (Effervescent Atmosphere again), “Kit Fox” by Pokey Park, “Wrapped in Mystery” by Chrysoula Lile, “Regarding Mint” by Susan Kos Dempsey, “A Woman Scorned” by Liz Smith, and finally “Refuge” by Susan Kobs Horvat. These were the paintings that stood out the most for me, either just because I thought they were beautiful, or because of a technical marvel, or because I felt something deeper towards them. Three paintings in particular had the most prominent effect on me. First the was Effervescent Atmosphere, which was my favorite piece visually. I found this piece really spoke to me, I loved the colors, and the surrealism and the slightly science fiction-like thoughts it brought to my mind. Secondly there was Who’s Your Puppet Master, which was the first piece that jumped out at me, and I really enjoyed the political and social satire of our news organizations controlling our nations. Finally there was Regarding Mint, and this one is a special case because, if I am not mistaken it is an abstract piece, and I normally severely dislike abstract art. However, there was something about this piece that I couldn’t shake, immediately I was drawn to it, and then wrote it off as abstract. Then I was drawn back several more times until I finally decided to capture it’s image. For some reason I liked this painting, and I truly do not know why. I believe it may be because of the use of the color red and the pattern, but that is just speculation, I honestly don’t know why I like it, I just do.