In the case I was an author for The Washington Post, writing about a recent healthcare discovery or innovation, I would definitely strategize to appeal to an overall general readership, as opposed to limiting my audience to just science and healthcare fanatics. This may include using easy scientific jargon, maybe not as easily found in the Primary Source Journal, but depicted in a way that still gets the main themes of the study across in layman’s terms. Other than merely simplifying scientific jargon, different elements include using easy to read graphs and creative images that each have accurate descriptions which would provide to make the reading experience more suited to the general public all while maintaining the integrity of the science discovered in the studies.

Throughout the presentation of our Hot Topic Research, some areas I’ve noticed that authors can improve upon when dealing with science based articles, is that they need to leave their personal bias out of it. The majority of authors, including the author of my healthcare innovation, Joel Achenbach, cited other scientists, unrelated to the study, that supported a few of his own personal claims on the study he was writing his article on. Although the writers have the freedom to give their own take, when presenting scientific evidence, it is better to stay along the lines of the primary source.

– AJ JOHNSON