1:1 Research Meetings and Group Work Sessions

As we head into October I want to encourage everyone not only to mail me to set up a research strategy meeting, but to also consider me a resource to help plan and run group work sessions, be they at Macaulay, at the Hunter Library, or elsewhere. If you want someone around to work alongside, please e-mail me.

For your research meeting, it will help if you’ve already done some exploration. Use the material from today’s session on online research, continue with your library research, and come to me with your questions and frustrations after you’ve begun to get into your source material.

frustrated writer

There are some additional topics I can tackle with you one on one, which we did not talk about today in any depth. If you’re interested in discussing any of these things, let me know before we meet!

• Mac, tablet and smartphone applications related to research, productivity, and time management
  • Professional (or amateur!) organizations devoted to your subfield (such as science fiction & fantasy, or gothic literature, or even specific authors)–finding and using their web sites, conference proceedings, and other material
  • Schools and structures of literary criticism–determining what might most apply to your project, and bringing in resources to help sort out any jargon that is coming up in the sources you find
  • Integrating both qualitative (images, audio, video) and quantitative (stats! numbers!) data into your research (or even just thinking about whether or not that has a role in your project at this point)
  • Archival materials–talking further about what’s in the archives and how to get at it

Please set up a meeting with me on or before October 15th–that gives you some time to get into your sources and come up with questions I can help with, but it also gives you time to apply what we talk about in our chat. I’m at Macaulay on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons generally, but I can try to come in on another day if absolutely necessary.

After each meeting, I’ll send a record of what we discussed to both you and Prof. Isenberg.

Good luck, everyone!

–Lindsey

About L. M. Freer

Lindsey is an English PhD candidate at the CUNY Graduate Center, and serves as a senior ITF at Macaulay's 67th Street building. She studies late twentieth-century American poetics, and also enjoys exploring new and useful technological tools with Macaulay faculty and students. Her hobbies include landscape photography, fiber arts, and baking. She is not a morning person.