Feed of
Posts

The visit to the Chelsea Galleries was a nice change from visiting museums. However, one thing I did not like about the galleries is that there were no titles or descriptions for the paintings. Sometimes, it is helpful to have the title of a painting because it can give the viewer a different perspective from which to view the painting. However, overall I liked the fact that each gallery focused on a specific type of painting and that we got to see a lot of different painting styles.

The first and second galleries had interesting art, but I could not get any meaning from the paintings. The paintings in the first gallery made me feel scared. A lot of them had scribbles with what looked like a black crayon or colored pencil. These scribbles created a hectic, even crazy, atmosphere. Also, I couldn’t understand what was happening in the paintings. They looked like they contained shapes which resembled human figures or other objects, but I could not tell exactly what the shapes were. This made me feel uncomfortable because I felt like as hard as I tried I would never figure out what I was looking at. It was like looking at someone’s nightmares. I felt like the artist took whatever he saw in his dreams and then painted these images. However, like most dreams, it seemed that these paintings would only make sense while you’re in the dream. The second gallery, contained paintings with squigly lines. I thought the color pallets of the paintings were interesting and I wondered how the artist chose which colors to use in each painting. The colors worked well together and complemented each other. I also thought it was interesting that the artist decided to leave panels on the sides of the paintings. In addition, even though there were lines going everywhere, the lines looked controlled. They werent concentrated too much in one part of the painting. I liked how these painting were balanced and how the artist was able to maintain control of lines even though they are going in a lot of different directions and looping around each other.

I enjoyed the third and fourth galleries the most. I liked how the paintings in these galleries were not traditional. Instead the paintings had texture and incorporated different elements and tools that are not usually found in painting. My favorite gallery was the one that was showing the Kim Dorland paintings. I liked how all of the works there had a theme. They related to the artists childhood and how everything in child hood looks scarier than it really is. I could easily identify with this idea. For example, the painting with a black background and a figure of a man in red, makes the simple figure of a human look terrifying. In addition, the painting of the forest makes the trees look like they are trying to grab you and pull you into the forest. Also, I thought it was amazing how the artist used actual wood to create things such as a treehouse and trees in the paintings. I also liked the use of nails, string, and glitter. These elements made the paintings exciting and three dimensional. Also, the thickness of the paint made the theme of the show stronger because some of the scary paintings looked like they were about to come alive because they were three dimensional. The fourth gallery also had a lot of paintings that contained thick paint and looked three dimensional. However, these paintings were more focused on nature. I liked viewing these paintings after the Kim Dorland paintings because they still exhibited some of the same techniques, but they were more realistic. I liked the fact that the artist in the fourth gallery also used memories to create art. I think that when artists use personal things, like memories, in their art, then that art is easier to relate to.

The fifth and sixth galleries were extremely different from each other. The sexual images and the bright colors in the fifth gallery created a humorous light hearted atmosphere. I thought these paintings were interesting because of the designs in the backgrounds and the colors that the artist used. In contrast to the fifth gallerie’s light hearted atmosphere, the sixth gallery had a strong political message. I liked how the artist in the sixth gallery used lines to represent the cultural dislocations in Iran. One picture that caught my attention was the men walking. There is a line dividing the men in the middle and they are wearing different clothes on the top and bottom. I thought this picture clearly showed the many different groups of people present in Iran. I thought it was interesting how the artist was capable of using this one technique: lines and divisions, to convey a political message effectively.