Feed of
Posts

I could not believe how much I enjoyed the abstract expressionism exhibition. I attended this exhibit several times before, but it never had a lasting impression on me. I always left the exhibit thinking about what all of these paintings were supposed to mean. However, during this visit I got a little bit of background knowledge from Paula Stuttman, the tour guide, and from a previous tour I had of the exhibit. This information helped me see abstract expressionism in a new way. I spent a few hours walking around the exhibit by myself and realized that these paintings that I once thought of as meaningless, actually had a lot to say.

I enjoyed the paintings by Mark Rothko, Barnett Newman, Ad Reinhardt, and Jackson Pollock the most. One of the texts for a Mark Rothko painting contained the quote “art is an adventure into an unknown world…” I thought that this was the perfect quote to describe the abstract expressionist style and Rothko’s paintings. The first painting that I saw by Rothko was “Slow Swirl at the Edge of the Sea.” As soon as I saw this painting, I did not like it. I could clearly distinguish two forms, but I could not find any personal meaning in the painting. However, once I got to the room full of Rothko’s “multiform” paintings, my first impression of Rothko’s work changed. In these paintings, Rothko experimented with the relationship between space, color, and scale. I could not figure out why I was drawn to these paintings. They looked so simple, just a few colors and boxes. Yet, they made me feel more than the complex and numerous shapes in the first Rothko painting. The painting that really caught my attention was “Slate Blue and Brown on Plum.” When I looked at this painting I felt a rush of emotions. The beauty of the colors and the balance between them was overwhelming. The deep plum color in contrast to the blue made me feel excitement, fear, and calmness all at the same time. As I continued looking at Rothko’s paintings, I read some text that said he began experimenting with darker colors in order to create depth. After this I went back to the plum painting and realized that the plum color did actually create a feeling of depth. The painting did not feel flat, but instead looked like it contained a lot of space within it. I realized that this depth was what made me feel overwhelmed. Rothko’s experiments with color, space, and scale were an artistic adventure into an unknown world. In my opinion, this adventure was successful because it resulted in art which could create emotions with simple colors and forms.

Mark Rothko’s paintings were not the only ones that made me feel overwhelmed. Barnette Newamn’s panintings had the same quality. For example, at first glance, “The Voice” looked like a simple white painting with a “zip” of a different shade on the right side. However, as I looked closer, I realized that there were actually different shades of the color throughout the painting. This light color and its varying shades created the image of infinite empty space. I alsmot felt as if I was being sucked into this painting. This painting made me feel uncomfortable because it made me imagine being trapped compeltely alone in a never ending space of nothingness. Also the title of the painting, “The Voice”, made me feel the impact of the painting’s silence. The color of the painting made the infinite space seem dead quiet.

The painting, “Vir Heroicus Sublimus”, overwhelmed me because of its large size and bright red color. However, even though the dominant color of the painting was bright, it was not the most noticeable part of the painting. The aspect of the painting that caught my attention was the white “zip”. Even when I closed my eyes (which I had to do a few times because the painting’s bright color almost made my eyes hurt) I could still see the white zip. Accordring to the text next to the painting, Newman wanted his paintings to be viewed from a close distance instead of far away. As a result, I decided to take a closer look at “Vir Heroicus Sublimus”. I realized that there were some imperfections in the red color. The painting was not perfectly one shade of red. This made me think about life and how sometimes when we look at things from far away or just at their surface, they may seem perfect. However, once we take a closer look and examine them we begin to see problems and imperfections.

Ad Reinhardt’s paintings consisted of grids in different colors. I liked these paintings because they had a sense of mystery and allowed the viewer to make discoveries. For example, while looking at these paintings, I found myself wondering how Reinhardt could see the differences in the shades of colors when he was painting. The painting that amazed me the the most was “Abstract Painting”. At first I thought it was just a large black square. However, when I read the description I realized that Reinhardt had actually created a grid of squares in different shades of black. I stared and stared at this painting. I convinced myself that it was still just a large black square. However, after staring some more, I began to see the grid! I tried to imagine the amount of skill and creativity necessary to come up with this painting. The painting was like an illusion. In order to see its full potential, you had to train your eyes. It made me realize that sometimes in life we can oftern discover things if we just look a little closer.

Jackson Pollock’s paintings varied a lot in style. In his earlier paintings, such as “She Wolf”, I could clearly see recognizable forms. Also, even paintings that did not have immediately recognizable forms, such as “Gothic”, they still had titles, which immediately created a lense through which to view the paintings. As a result, I did not enjoy these images because the possiblities of  there interpretations felt too constricted. The titles made me feel like I had to understand what Pollock tryed to say by painting these images. However, Pollock’s “drip” paintings left a completely different impression. They had no titles, just numbers. This let my mind be free to see whatever meaning I wanted. In painting “One: Number 31: 1950” , Jackson Pollock somehow caputred the essence of energy. When I thought about energy before viewing this painting, there was no image that I could associate it with. I could picture people moving, but not the energy that these movements contained. Now, “One: Number 31:1950” is the image I think of, when I try to picture energy. Also, this painting made me feel more connected to the process of its creation. I could picture the actions that Pollock needed to perform with his body in order to make this painting. I could imagine the way he would have to flick the paint on the canvas and move around to create this image, which would capture all of the energy that went into the painting’s formation.