Ariana Z. 10/1/12 Opera

Following today’s seminar, I must say that my excitement for attending the Opera this Wednesday has grown. Rather than simply attending the Opera “cold turkey” and without any prior knowledge or analysis, I am thankful that this seminar allows us to truly look into the art form of the Opera and learn the great passion and talent it takes to be an opera singer. Prior to the class, for example, I had been exposed to Pavarotti through school, my parents or other moments of passing by. I had not, however, truly understood how spectacular he was or how different an opera singer’s career is compared to a career in tennis, for example.

Professor Kahan explained that in 1981 he had just entered his “prime” at the age of 45, when you compare that age to tennis player Andy Roddick, who at age 30 retired from his tennis career, one can see how it is quite a contrast. When we analyzed the three clips of Pavarotti singing “Nessun Dorma” in 1981,1998 and then in 2006, it was amazing to hear that even at the age of 70 he could compete with his prior riveting performances. In 1998, when he was 63 years old, he was by far at his prime. Unlike his 1981 performance which was also breathtaking, in the second clip one could see that he was truly in his element and definitely looked like he was in complete control of his voice.

I must say, however, despite it being his best performance of the three we watched, my favorite performance would have to be at the 2006 Winter Olympics. At seventy years old, to even be able to stand in a crowd so large and have the physical capacity to perform, blew me away. Also, to hear the tenderness of his voice and the true passion and pride he had in his country was one of a kind. It surpassed the fact that this performance lacked the longevity of the notes. In fact, despite the minimized use of technique, one also saw his passion displayed as (unlike his last performances) he moved his hands more and truly expressed his emotions across his face. I could only imagine how amazing it must have been to be a spectator that night in 2006. And though Wednesday’s performance of “Nessun Dorma” may have high expectations after listening to Pavarotti, I am sure that being in the presence of any talented tenor will truly be a treat.