Opera Night

Wednesday’s class was a trip to the Metropolitan Opera. This was a great experience for me and it is one that I will never forget. Not only did I have a great time with all of my classmates on this trip, but also I got to enjoy the opera performance of Turandot.

When I got off the train for Lincoln center, I didn’t know what to expect. I have to admit that the first thing on my mind wasn’t the opera because I was very hungry and in the mood for a classic New York City gyro. After satisfying my appetite, I walked up to the opera and the first thing that caught my attention was the fountain. It lit up the entire plaza and was a great introduction to the next thing I encountered, beautiful chandeliers and a lot of red velvet. As soon as you walk in you see beautiful chandeliers and red velvet, everywhere. The floor, staircases, and walls were all covered in it, which still sticks out in my mind. After seeing a sea of red velvet, I saw a beautiful opera hall with more chandeliers, that move too, and last but not least, (excuse my cliche) i saw the opera.

Overall, I really enjoyed the opera. Everything about it was great and there were several parts of it that stood out for me. One was the orchestra. The music was fantastic and there were many occasions when I would just look down and watch them play. I even enjoyed watching the maestro conduct the musicians. It was interesting to watch his movements and see how he conducted the orchestra with some emphatic arm movements. Next I want to say that my favorite scenes of the opera were the scenes with Ping, Pang, and Pong. I enjoyed the humor in the scenes and their acting was very good. I also really liked hearing Liu sing. Her voice was by far my favorite and I was sad when she died, and i was even more disappointed later on to know it was all in vain because Turandot does fall in love with Calaf and they live happily ever after.