Ariana Z. 10/10/12 Michael Sirotta

Today’s seminar consisted of two parts. The first half was essentially our “debriefing” of our feelings about the Opera.  I was surprised to hear that, in fact, the box seats on our level of the balcony were considered to be “good” seats. Though they have more room and the presence of a table, I can honestly say that I would not have switched my seat from the family circle had I been offered one in the box. Professor Kahan stated that this was simply “opera” tradition and “in opera fashion” to have box seats. In this case I would, however, take comfort over tradition.

Another statement made in today’s class that I thought was interesting was that the character of “Liu” in Turandot came into question. Though I felt it disheartening that her death was almost skipped over, I must say that her character seemed to be needed in order to prove to Turandot that this man whom she hardly knows is capable of being loved by another so much that someone would take their life for his. I think it ultimately allowed Torandot’s heart to finally open up enough to let a man like Calif through.

The latter half of class was devoted to our guest spear, Michael Sirotta, whose orchestral composition will have its debut  at this weekend’s “Cultures in Harmony.” Professor Sirotta was a delight to listen to as he was truly passionate about his work. I especially enjoyed how he described the inspiration for his piece. It is amazing that one’s memory could go back so far as to when he was a child on his relative’s farm.  I thought it was interesting that the song “Ofyn Pripetshok” he knew as a child could have such strong meaning. Though the words were about a Rabi teaching little children the Hebrew alphabet… “See now little ones take it nice and slow” it also had a dark meaning; with words similar to saying “when you grow older…you will know the tears that come with every letter..” Professor Sirotta went on to state that this song could be , and for some is, considered the “second Jewish national anthem.” He even gave us a quick listen to what the class will be hearing on Sunday, and I must say that I am looking forward to the SI Philharmonic’s performance of the piece.