The Time – Cherry Blossoms on a Moonlit Night

I had the opportunity to visit some of the many amazing art galleries in Chelsea the other day. Out of all them, my favorite had to be the Japanese themed Sato Sakura Gallery. This work pictured above depicting a moonlit night stood out to me the most. Branches of cherry blossoms dangle in the foreground, with bright pink petals drifting off into the wind as they journey their way to the ground. In the background stands a silhouette of what appears to be some sort of tower. The structure stands tall with a long  spire on top. The Moon lurks directly behind the building, illuminating the nighttime sky. The Moon’s strikingly pale image contrasts with the rest of the primarily dark blue color scheme. Its design is highly detailed as well, with craters scattered all over its surface. The rest of the background consists of a clear dark blue sky, with the tops of trees being visible towards the bottom.

The gallery itself comprises a relatively large space, with plenty of room in between most of the works. Half the gallery space features a dark colored background while the other half a white colored background. I noticed most of the pieces shared a common theme revolving around nature. Trees and other plant life were common in most of the paintings. All of the works collectively established a peaceful environment in the gallery. The environment ultimately enhances our perception of the work, with the dark nighttime atmosphere contrasting with the white background. This contrast effectively grants the piece a sense of identity. While it could be anytime on the outside, it is perpetually nighttime in the painting. The art itself also alters the environment, with it making the time of day to be more perceivable to nighttime. Gazing into the piece could be comparable to looking out a window, in which case viewing the moonlit scene can influence our awareness of time in the gallery. The moonlit night is depicted as the perfect moment in time. Its perfection stems from its beauty, and this beauty supersedes that of any potential moment of time on the outside. Not only does the work alter our perception of time, but also presents to us how time is an essential ingredient to beauty.

Drum Totem

Before my time at the gallery, I visited Staten Island’s very own Tompkinsville Park. As a native of the borough, I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. This is Alassane Drabo’s Drum Totem, a West African inspired work. Standing 16′ tall, the artwork comprises one drum situated atop the main structure, and two others attached to the sides. The main structure consists of two stacked black oil drums surrounded by light brown timber driftwood. One wooden drum can be found sticking out of the lower left side of the driftwood while another can be found attached directly to the top oil drum to the upper right side. There is a noticeable hole in the top of the drum attached to the right of the main structure, a likely indicator of age and usage. The drum based at the top is the most embellished of the three, with it being largest in size, perfectly carved, and mostly undamaged. It has a dark brown wooden shell and a grayish drumhead, with what appears to be streamers draping from the sides.

The park environment was definitely an appropriate setting for the piece. The work is situated in an expansive grass area, occupying the space alongside a number of trees with leaves sprawled across the ground. Drum Totem is a central feature in the space, along with a fountain in the park center and a statue honoring Spanish-American War soldiers titled The Hiker.  From behind, the oil drums are completely blocked by the driftwood. As I entered the park from that direction, I mistook the piece for remnants of a tree. Nevertheless, the park environment contributes to the work’s display. The surrounding nature provides an ideal platform for the piece. Anyone passing through can sit and enjoy the art’s excellence. The work’s placement in a park effectively integrates African culture into an everyday setting. The park, a common public location, grants us an opportunity to appreciate an entire culture honored by the art. The space and the piece thus compliment each other through this. The art benefits from being integrated into a serene environment, while the space benefits from having an element of culture added to it.