Located in the Fine Art Gallery on Coney Island is a small framed painting. This piece of artwork was not only located on a shelf but with many paintings but had many paintings hanging above and below it as well. The gallery was nothing like I’d imagined, completely filled with paintings, it was hard to focus on a painting as whole. Unlike my experience in the MOMA where the art was spread out, The Fine Art Gallery of Coney Island was overflowing with artwork and didn’t have much empty white space behind it.  

The artwork is composed of the three primary colors, highlighting the simplicity of the piece.The left side is red, the middle is yellow, and the right is blue. All three of these colors are a light shade: light red, light yellow, and light blue. The colors all sort of blend together, creating a light orange and grey background. There is small moon in the top center. The bottom of the painting appears to be green, it looks like a floor and there is a couple skating through the center of the artwork (the yellow) which appears to be a doorway. One the left side, there is a figure which appears as a woman. Though it is just a lightly painted body, she appears to have a breast. She is painted with pinks and yellows which blend into a greyish purple as yell. She is roller skating, one foot in front of the other. Her skates are a peachy light pink and her hand extends to the center of the painting holding hands with another figure on the other side of the painting. This figure is painted of a variety of shades of blue. Unlike the woman on roller skates, this figure is on a bicycle. The two figures represent two separate ideas, the figure on the left is painted with warm colors and the figure on the right is painted with cool colors. The left side which is a reddish orange contrasts with the bluish green on the other side as the artists chose complimentary colors to draw this couple.Though the two sides of the painting are very much different, the artist chooses the yellow space in the middle to he symbolize unity and the joining of the two hands. There is very simple landscape without much detail evoking a feeling of peace and serenity.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I have longed for trips to the small Carvel located on Coney Island and Avenue V. The wide selection would make my mouth water as I would hop between “Rocky Road Crunch’ to “Blueberry Pie.” Every trip to carvel was a different experience and I never got the same thing twice, no matter how delicious. What made the experience so amazing was the parking lot where I would eat my ice cream. The parking lot is filled with people sitting, I can hardly get a table. People are walking in and out holding huge cones of ice cream, each one with two or three scoops. A couple sits to my left sharing an oreo milkshake. A family sits behind us opening a package of flying saucers, “I called the chocolate sprinkles!” a little boy shouts at his sister. Everyone is smiling.  

Spray painted across the wall of carvel is what I like to think of as a candy land. The scenery of the painting is the bright blue sky , the shade of blue getting lighter as it goes down the painting. The bottom of the wall is spray-painted with clouds and amidst the clouds are ice cream scoops. The clouds are as white as snow and outlined in a light blue. Starting from the left is a large yellow scoop of ice cream perhaps French Vanilla or Cake Batter; the rounded top of the scoop is covered lightly in faded sprinkles and cherry dip on top. The dip is bright red and has drips going down the scoop. Slightly behind it is a light orange scoop of ice cream which appears to be creamsicle or butter pecan. The top of it is covered in chocolate fudge and though the ice cream scoop is slanted, a cherry is placed perfectly on top. To the right of it is a light pink scoop, clearly strawberry and it has chocolate sprinkles splattered on it. The three scoops appear to be floating amongst the clouds as if one could just jump over them. Behind the ice cream scoops are two large ice cream cones. One is a waffle cone filled with vanilla and chocolate twist. The top of the cone is covered in chocolate fudge with nuts. The cone appears to be leaning against another cone, this one is filled with plain vanilla ice cream and covered in rainbow sprinkles. Behind the cones are three flying oreos! Flying oreos!

The background of the artwork contains a variety of different ice cream scoops. The light colors of the ice cream (orange and pink) blend into the background creating a peaceful sunset. Located in the center of the art is a flowing chocolate river, painted dark brown with streaks of black that appear like waves. There are small cherries and white swirls which appear to be whipped cream floating across the river. Over the chocolate fudge river is a round semi- circle bridge made out of a waffle cone. It is light brown with a dark brown outline. It caves over the river as a though it is a walkway.

The right half is filled with more ice cream cones. In the front is a cone filled with strawberry and french vanilla twist. Along the back is a row of coes, all upside down. They are large waffle cones painted light brown with a beige grid. Each one appears to have the large part of the cone dipped in a different type of chocolate. The first is covered in a rich dark chocolate with small beige nuts. The second is also a dark chocolate but this one has sprinkles which are made out of small black lines. The third has a colorful sprinkle and the fourth has a faded light brown sprinkle. In the bottom right corner are another three scoops, again chocolate light pink, and light orange respectively.  On the right side of the artwork is a flying ice cream cone filled with vanilla ice cream and two white angel wings coming out, one from each side. The cone is once again light brown and has a golden sash floating in front of it, saying,

”Don’t tell me. Show me.

Forever in our hearts”

I have never noticed this before as the artwork appears to be painted in memory of a group of people. On top of the artwork are three floating cherries. They are round and appear to be flying, they have wings coming out and each one has a different name spray painted inside of it. I think this art can be the artists view of the after life as he/she hopes the three people who passed are in a better place. He/she envisions a world of no evil, no harm, no stress just the happy feeling one gets from ice cream.

By having this artwork outside an ice cream store, it enhances the experience one has while eating his/her ice cream. The painting feeds off of the viewers imagination, creating a world that is filled with ice cream and chocolate. It removes any worries one may have about health or weight since it portrays ice cream in such a friendly and pleasant environment. The wall is designed using only light and friendly colors, welcoming. Anyone who sees this art will immediately want to indulge in their ice cream as it appears to welcome one into this world, above the heavens, a world of happiness, pleasure, and ice cream.