Andre Kertesz – Photo 7 :: Artist Website

Andre Kertesz, born July 2nd, 1894, was a Hungarian-born photographer who was extremely well known for his contribution in the practical and literary world of photography.

In terms of the studium, Kertesz simply shows a photograph that has a “broken glass” effect. That is what the main focus of the photograph is.

This particular picture, deemed “Kertesz-7” as the name of the photo on the artist website struck me because it is very close to how I see the world myself. For me, the punctum is no other than the inescapable hole of reality which Kertesz depicts as a shattered piece of the photograph. Why? Because in the matrix of all things material, I see too the “hole” in the reality around us – the vibrational truth of how our universe functions, compared to the seemly real corporal matrix that we’ve been programmed to believe exists as separation from everything else. A more or less popular quote would be “A picture is worth a thousand words”, but this work seems to disorientate the entire paradigm of that exact quote into “A black hole consumes the words out of the picture, for nothing escapes a black hole; all attention is drawn to it; everyone will always ask ‘What happened?’ and the words become simply wondering, and wondering can be a dangerous thing if no conclusion is reached.”

Essentially, Kertesz’ work leaves me with a sense that there is more to life. There is more to this reality we have been presented with – and with good reason. It hits me in the place that goes beyond the planes of existence in which we are all conditioned to live in without question. Through all those tall buildings, those beautiful oceans, tall mountains and the gorgeous skies, to the colors we can see and the thoughts we experience… Is there a deeper connectivity to all of this than we think? Who are we and how far do our limits actually reach? Can you actually stick your hand through some hole broken into the construct of the matrix of reality? What do you think you would pull out?

It leaves the viewer with a sense of curiosity for what is beyond the picture. It reminds me of what it would feel like to prove any philosophical argument “right” or “wrong”.  It shows something that cannot be shown. It is truly a photograph that inspired me to write music recently that I didn’t really think I could make. It seems to me that once you break the “rules”, you start to rule yourself.