Prof. Laura Kolb, Baruch College

To the Potty or to the Battlefield?

Diaper Pattern, 1973

In 1973, Martha Rosler created a famous piece of art known as the “Diaper Pattern.” The artwork appears as a simple attachment of many white cloths into a grid. However, these are no ordinary white cloths, they are the diapers of her young son. On each diaper she has written a slogan or a quote relating to the Vietnam war. This art work is not only avant- garde physically, in that no one has spoken out against war through art on their children’s diapers. Rather it is also avant garde in its message. Being a mother in a domestic household, Martha Rosler used her art to challenge the female role in a household. She uses the diapers, which are normally seen around young children, as a way to hold powerful messages about war. This artwork pushes boundaries of art in the way it is designed: a grid of diapers. It also tests the limits of the female role in society and pushes the boundaries of feminism as well.

Martha Rosler uses her son’s diapers as a medium in speaking out against war. Diapers represent the household and domestic life many women spend living. It symbolizes “motherhood” as women are often portrayed as people who stay home and take care of children. By writing violent sayings across diapers, it is no longer just a piece of art work that speaks out against war but also one that speaks out against feminism. The entire work of art is political and encourages controversial discussion. Rosler is bringing the viewer out of their head and forcing them to look at reality; the reality of women and the reality of war. By using diapers to carry her messages, she pushes against the boundaries placed around women, wives, and mothers everywhere.

While Martha Rosler wrote many different messages on the diapers, they all shared a common theme: protesting against the Vietnam War. The word “Gooks” appears over and over on multiple diapers and Martha Rosler is calling attention to this derogatory term and the effects of war. Martha Rosler has placed the diapers in a grid which is ironic since a grid has structure and organization and war is total chaos. The artwork is abstract as it isn’t an obvious mimesis of war or feminism, rather it is a complex composition of ideas. It can be seen as a mimisis of a protest or of war in its violent words and controversial messages, however, the fact that it is organized into a grid contradicts this. I think it is a mimesis of multiple different ideas and not just one idea. Overall, Martha Rosler used her sons diapers as a platform to speak out against war and the traditional domesticity as she brings the two themes together.

1. friedahaber

Esther,

This an incredibly powerful piece and I think you captured it’s true essence in your analysis. Maybe, the fact that Rosler protested feminism while protest war in the same piece is her way of saying, “Even though I’m a women, even though I have to change diapers, I still have opinions and I’m going to voice them in anyway I can.” Rosler was actually using her protest of the war as a way further protest antifeminist ideals. I agree, that this piece pushes boundaries in its medium, diapers. That’s perhaps why I was drawn to the piece while I was walking around the Jewish Museum.
    Nice work!

2. renee waingort

Hi Esther,
    If I’m being honest here, I have to admit that when I saw this piece at the museum I barely stopped to look at it. I glanced over at it and I couldn’t even begin to understand what the piece was, or what it was trying to convey. This is why I decided to read your blog!
    Wow! I am amazed by this work. I would have never thought that this piece was made from Rosler’s son’s diapers. I find it so amazing how Rosler used a diaper, which is usually seen as nothing more than a form of underwear for babies, to send a political message about the Vietnam War. I feel that you truly captured and understood the message that Rosler was sending. I really love the idea that Rosler used diapers to voice her opinion on the war, which also helped her speak out against feminism. I am so glad I read your blog. You did a great job!