Prof. Laura Kolb, Baruch College

Free the Nipple Before it Burns!!

The Jewish Museum was nothing like I expected. Foolishly, I expected the Jewish Museum to be a large exhibit showcasing artifacts from the Holocaust and remnants from the places where Jews were held in captivity and murdered those many decades ago. However, this museum was delightfully the opposite. Featuring artwork from various artists, the Martha Rosler show was the most dynamic by far.

Martha Rosler, an American artist born in 1943, is most known for illustrating the world through various mediums, including photography, video, sculpture, performance, and more more. She tends to highlight the woman’s experience and does not shy away from expressing her political standpoint on various issues such as gender roles, war, inequality, gentrification, etc.

Martha Rosler’s exhibit at the Jewish Museum was full of art of all shapes, sizes, and kinds; all unique and with their own message. In a small dark room, accompanied by a video screening of what appeared to be a woman having a gynecology consultation by a doctor and a host of nurses/observers taking notes, were a few photomontages of female body parts pasted onto everyday appliances. The picture that caught my attention the most was the image called “Hot Meat”. In this image, we see a side profile of a naked woman’s breast area plastered on to a stove/oven. In this series of photos (entitled Body Beautiful, or Beauty Knows No Pain), Rosler uses female body parts placed on everyday items to depict the role of women in society at the time and domesticity. Women during this time were seen as only staying in the home to cook, clean, and care for her family. They were not seen as independent beings outside of their marriages or households and were not respected as much as their male counterparts. Since the woman is naked, this adds an extra layer of vulnerability to the woman, as well as calls out the men in society. Men often objectify women and this is the perfect example of that. This asks him to rethink how he looks at a woman.

In placing these body parts on things that we would normally not see them nor associate them with, it forces the viewer to reconsider how we view women in society and their respective roles. Rosler wanted to change the way in which we see women on an everyday basis, and alter our socially constructed preconceptions on gender as a whole. This picture was created in the late 60s, and yet we still have a long way to go when it comes to seeing women as equals.

Body Beautiful or Beauty Knows No Pain, Hot Meat by Martha Rosler

1. Andrew Ziska

Hey Teona,

I also did an exhibit by Rosler but it was of a different political standpoint. I think her views on gender equality and equality in general is very progressive and you seem to analyze that very well. I also think it was really cool that she likes to take ordinary appliances and place controversial pictures/objects on them. Good job at analyzing her artwork and pointing out how she was being experimental and political at the same time.
    -Andrew

2. Dominique

Hi Teona,
    I analyzed a piece by Rosler as well, but I delved into her art on war rather than her comments on gender roles in society. Reading your analysis on the connection between the image and its placement, helped clarify Rosler’s message regarding the domestic role society has given women, and how we must eradicate that. I agree that having the subject half naked, confronted individuals that objectify women in society. I enjoyed reading your blogpost; it helped complete my picture of Rosler as an artist and political influencer.