Prof. Laura Kolb, Baruch College

No One Left Behind in The Jungle

On December 5, our class was fortunate to receive tickets to a production of The Jungle at St. Ann’s Warehouse. Because I did not know what the play was about and therefore had no expectations, I was completely blown away by the performance, actors, and story of the refugee camp called the Jungle. I enjoyed it so much that I even recommended it to family members of mine, telling them it is a must see.

Though I found it very difficult to pick one specific moment that stood out to me since there were so many profound and emotional moments, there was one moment I kept thinking about long after the performance was over. It was striking when the refugees refused to leave Salar alone in his restaurant even though the French police were going to evict that side of the camp. Mohammed and many of the other refugees tried to convince him to leave, telling him that they would rebuild the restaurant on the other side, but to no avail. Suddenly, one by one the refugees started marching into the restaurant because they refused to leave Salar alone. It was an intense scene and I could see the emotion on the actors faces as they embraced one another. Seeing them cling to each other as they awaited the French authorities was a beautiful moment that I kept picturing over and over again.

Watching this sense of unity and togetherness unfold on stage helped the performers convey an important message to the audience. The refugees all came from different parts of the world. This means they had different ideologies, points of view, struggles and opinions. However, once they were in the Jungle, all those differences didn’t matter anymore. The only way the refugees would survive and even find success in the camp was by working together, depending on each other, and supporting each other. This is why no one in the camp was going to leave Salar behind. Of course, they were going to try to convince him to come to safety. However, he was steadfast and unwavering in his decision to not abandon the restaurant that he had worked extremely hard for to build. Though dangerous, the other refugees therefore decided to stay with Salar and even risk their lives so he would not be alone. This moment taught me an important lesson about the need for people to come together and rely on one another, rather than argue with each other. I am joyed by the fact that I got to witness this and partake in the special opportunity of seeing The Jungle.

1. Danielle Saad

Hi Molly,

I found your blog post very interesting and I really liked the message you mentioned in the post! I agree that there were many points in the play that were very powerful and moving, and this scene definitely makes the list. We may have thought at first that since the refugees come from all different backgrounds, they would likely follow the ideology that “every man for himself.” However, all the refugees stood united and supported Salar when it came time to bulldoze the Jungle. They did not let fear bring them apart, rather this instance brought them even closer together as a family. You did a great job of describing the scene in detail and weaving in the lesson the play meant to convey.

• Jason

Molly,

Firstly, I’m glad you recommended this play to your family because it was a very emotional and inspiring performance. I did the same thing with my family. Also the moment you chose was very touching for me as well because the unity of the refugees was very surprising. I also like the point you make that although they all came from different backgrounds and cultures, they learned how to unite and work together, which led to the jungle becoming their home. Overall, great job on your blog post.

2. Jason

Molly,