Bach is Back: A Review of Angela Hewitt’s Recital of The Art of Fugue

Angela Hewitt’s performance was a delightful presentation of Johann Sebastian Bach’s The Art of Fugue. Hewitt masterfully set up the night with a wonderful introduction, in which she attempted to simplify the complex arrangement of the performance. Her personality radiated throughout the short presentation, and continued to highlight the music through the night. Hewitt displayed unwavering endurance­—devouring about four cups of water in the process‑—and captivated the audience with her constant attentiveness to the music.

I love music. I feel it. That is what makes assessing it problematic. For me, music has always been subjective and cathartic as opposed to something that I exam from an academic standpoint. I am unfamiliar with music terminology, and despite my numerous attempts to learn various instruments, I can still barely clap on beat. However, I was glad to have felt the music. The pieces told stories, or at least that is what Hewitt did a wonderful job of conveying through her facial expressions and powerful hand movements. Throughout the performance I kept wondering why she was special. There are so many pianists who have done what she has, so many renditions to be found one YouTube search away. Why take the time to go see an hour and a half long piano recital? I discovered that there is a great difference between intently watching the talent unfold and merely letting it play as background music while multitasking. Three-minute radio hits have made it easy to forget how much meticulous work and dedication is put into making beautiful music such as Bach’s The Art of Fugue.

The 92Y also told its own stories. The Kaufmann Concert Hall was a beautiful choice, with a simple layout, and the grand piano that was at the center of the stage left me feeling like I had witnessed a talent that was incredibly raw. There had been no need for flashy lighting or an extravagant setup because the music spoke for itself. Its amazing what someone like Hewitt can do so organically with so little. She gave a magnificent performance that left me wanting to learn more about some of the world’s greatest composers and understand music to a greater degree. Until then, I am just grateful I was given the chance to feel it.