The Humans

I was excited and not excited for the night’s performance. I was excited because I love theater and plays. But I was not excited because I ended class at 5:00, had to go home, and be in at the theater at 7:30. With God’s help I made it and the most exciting part of my night was before the play. As I was about to enter the doors, I see a woman with a long coated being listened to by a semi-circle of well dressed men. As she turned around, I realized it was Drew Barrymore. I did not have my headshot handy so unfortunately, I couldn’t get her to sign it. Before I made the mistake of asking her to refer me to her agent, I thought to myself , “Abie, be cool.” I approached her and said “Ms. Barrymore?”.

“Yes?” She responded.

“Are you in this play?” I asked.

“No, I am not.” She said with a laugh.

Just as she was about to leave with someone who looked like her date (I checked online and saw that it was not her husband, perhaps her father?, or perhaps I know too much…) I said “Would you mind if we take a picture?”. “Do you have a camera ready” She asked. I already had my Snapchat open and ready to go and someone she was with offered to take it.

“I loved you in Grey Gardens by the way”I said.

“Oh, thank you, that is very sweet.” She said.

And that was it, my first time meeting a celebrity! After sending the picture to multiple people (many who did not know who she was but I’m going to pretend they did), I felt cool and part of the “meeting celebrities while we’re out and about” crew.

Even though this has nothing to do with “The Humans”, it had everything to do with it. That night will forever be remembered as the first night I met a celebrity. Now on to my response of the play.

The Humans was a really realistic production with a set that was three dimensional. If someone opened the bathroom door you could see inside. The actors seemed well trained and some of them were older which makes you think: “Are they unhappy that they reached a certain age without fame?” But for many actors, they work for the love of the performance, not the fame. Having people know your name is just a plus, a bonus.

The daughter who owned the apartment seemed exaggerative in voice and that is because she had to make sure everybody could hear her but somehow the other characters didn’t sound like that. You just know that there will be a big blow-out at the end with everyone involved in conflict and yelling. There was too much tension throughout the play for it not be acknowledged by the actors.

The audience seemed to really enjoy the performance as my fellow students were laughing at the jokes. The mother was the star of the show with her witty remarks. I really think that everyone involved in this production did a spectacular job and I would love to see another play similar to this in the future.