Our trip to Carnegie Hall was an all around beautiful adventure from the music to the architecture, even down to the delicious mints that were supposed to keep coughs and sniffles at bay.

First and the main event of the show: Anne-Sophie Mutter and her orchestra of young musicians. Not only did she look beautiful her eye-catching yellow gown but sounded beautiful. Having never really listened to classical music, I was swept away by the elegance and my mind wandered as they played. I loved all the pieces, but André Previn’s piece stood out to me, I loved the change in notes that evoked a sense of passion. Though I had lower expectations because I hadn’t heard his name, I was truly captivated. I also loved the four seasons. I liked that the tones really related to the happiness or the chill of the seasons. Though I don’t know much about the structure of music, I know that it can kidnap your emotions and drag you away to everywhere and also a place in your mind where there is nothing, where your thoughts just wander. I was also amazed by the two encores that she played. I loved how she looked genuinely happy to be playing more, and I loved the first encore the best. I thought it was beautiful and flowy. Above all, I loved her smile and passionate gestures especially when she walked off at the end of the show with such confidence.

While I was drowning in the beauty of the music, I couldn’t help but be drawn to look up at the beautiful swirls and flowers carved into the building. I thought their swirling motions fit the flow of music and were aesthetically detailed and beautiful. The beauty of the building mingled and enhanced the beauty of the music.

I also loved to occasionally look at how the people around me took in the music. Did the sit back with eyes closed letting themselves drift or did they sit eagerly with head on hand admiring the movement of the players? Were they young or old? Dressed up or down? It made me wonder what is the proper way to listen, look and be. What I concluded is that this experience can be for everyone, there is no right or wrong way if you’re feeling the music and the beauty of Carnegie Hall.

Aside from the people around me, I also loved to watch the musicians and their variation of movement. They would move dramatically back and forth, jerk their arms, sway slightly all depending on the music. This movement drew me in because it captivated their passion for the music as well as the music itself. It astonished me to see how physical this all can be and what that movement says about the musician and the music.

Overall Carnegie Hall was beautiful and embodied its art.