Actually studying!

Be proud of me. I’m circling words that I don’t understand in the newspaper, and listening to a program on gay rights (or something about gays.. they mentioned jobs and stuff so I’m 90% sure it’s about rights) on the Spanish radio. The NPR equivalent in Spain is called RTVE, and it has a website. Yup, you guessed it, www.rtve.es is the url. Smart cookies, out there.

Dali-like clock! šŸ˜€

We’re turning the clocks back here tonight, so I’m gaining an hour of Spanish tv, radio, studying time. I WILL use it because the beautiful thing about getting bored of studying a language is that you can just switch to watching a movie. Have I mentioned how gloriously happy I am that I got this amazing scholarship and get to be in Europe until June??

One of my friends here said she’ll be depressed when she has to leave this awesomeness and go back home. I have a different point of view, though, and it’s largely due to my parents. Being happy with what you have is one of the best ways to live life. As much as I think I could exist like this forever, I am going to be ecstatic when I go back to my life. I will have the privilege of returning to my home in the US with my Oma and Opa for the summer, and then going back to school in NYC the coming fall. There is nothing wrong with missing things, but there is no way that I will let any one part of my life be the best it will ever be. There are enough people whining about how great life used to be. I want to be like my mother and decide to expect that life is inevitably going to get even better.

I will never say that my life was so much greater when I was in Spain, because I will always be expecting something even more awesome around the corner. Like true love, for example. If I don’t fall in love while I’m here, that’s obviously something greater that will happen at another time. And that’s only one option.

In the meantime, however, I am going to enjoy the heck out of my life here because, so far, it IS one of the best things that has ever happened to me. It almost made me believe in God, actually. Almost.

I hope you get a chance to see life the way I do.

Much love,

Julia

About Julia

I'm studying abroad in Spain, but am supposed to be a Macaulay at City sophomore in the International Studies program. I love my life!
This entry was posted in Spain and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Actually studying!